Building and Celebrating 75 Years of Community Partnerships
The CU75 Carleton Connects Community-Academic Expo celebrates Carleton’s 75th anniversary by showcasing the university’s rich history of community partnerships. The Expo focuses on collaborations with Indigenous communities and with organizations working on issues of sustainability, accessibility, and global citizenship.
This three-day event provides opportunities to:
- Strengthen existing relationships with wider community networks;
- Reflect on the practices of equitable partnership building;
- Develop new connections; and
- Envision how Carleton can continue to foster community partnerships in the decades to come.
Carleton Connects kicks off on Friday, October 13, 2017 and wraps up on Sunday, October 15, 2017. The Expo is a free and inclusive event, which will include participants and presenters who are Carleton University students, staff, faculty, alumni, and retirees; local, national, and international community partners; and the general public.
Major event highlights include:
- Friday, October 13 – An on-campus evening reception features a keynote speaker and panel discussions focusing on each of the four themes of partnerships around Indigeneity, sustainability, accessibility and global citizenship. The exciting kick-off evening of celebration also includes musical performances and poster presentations of students’ community-based projects.
- Saturday, October 14 – Participants and presenters are invited off-campus to take part in four sessions (two concurrent morning sessions and two concurrent afternoon sessions) related to the four themes of partnerships around Indigeneity, sustainability, accessibility and global citizenship. Each session is co-organized by Carleton and community partners, explores specific work on an expo theme, and highlights appropriate community locations.
- Sunday, October 15 – The three-day event wraps up with knowledge sharing about lessons learned and exemplary practices. Sunday also includes structured opportunities for networking and exploring ideas for future partnerships.
Call for Proposals
The Carleton Connects academic-community expo program committee invites proposals for discussion panels, presentations, workshops, exhibitions, performances, and posters from community partners, students, staff, faculty, and/or instructors working in partnership in the areas of (1) sustainability, (2) accessibility, (3) global citizenship, or (4) Indigenous communities and knowledges.
Click here to submit your proposal and for more information.