FASS Research Awards
FASS Research Awards are to assist with advancing a major piece of research. The value of the award is normally equivalent to one half-credit (0.5 cr) of teaching release. Up to four such awards may be made each year, depending on the available funding. Awards normally take the form of funding to the recipient’s academic unit for the purpose of hiring a replacement contract instructor. Please note that these awards are not supported by an endowment or a base budget, and thus depend on the Office of the Dean having discretionary funds available in any given year.
- Applicants must be a FASS faculty member at the rank of assistant professor or above (in other words, those whose contractual duties include research) AND hold a tenured or tenure-track appointment AND at least 50% of their appointment must be in FASS.
- Faculty members holding funded Research Chairs are not eligible, nor are those who will be on leave during the period of the award.
- Previous recipients are not eligible.
- Applicants can apply for only one of the following FASS Awards per cycle: FASS Early Career Research Award, FASS Research Award, FASS Teaching Innovation Award and Marston LaFrance Award
Applications must not exceed five pages and include:
- an outline of the project, indicating its theoretical and/or empirical contribution and its relationship to other work in the field, and a clear statement of what needs to be done and why this requires some release time;
- information on other research awards applicable to the project, either currently held or applied for;
- a statement from the chair or director indicating awareness of the application and a willingness to accommodate a teaching release if awarded.
A current curriculum vitae must be appended to the application.
Applications must be emailed to Sarah Mohammed (firstname.lastname@example.org) by the Monday after Winter Break each year.
Applications will be adjudicated by the Executive of the Faculty Board, based on the:
- Candidate’s demonstrated record of research excellence
- Overall quality of the proposed research project
Conditions of the Award
Award winners will be announced at the FASS annual vin d’honneur celebration. The Award must be applied in the next academic year and recipients must maintain their graduate supervision responsibilities.