The FPA Ambassador program recruits new students at the end of the fall semester for a one year term (January – December).
- Be enrolled as a student in the Faculty of Public Affairs of Carleton University.
- Have good academic standing, as defined in the Carleton University Undergraduate Calendar.
- Have knowledge of campus resources.
- Act in a leadership capacity and represent the FPA professionally.
- Be punctual for all scheduled shifts and provide notice for any delays/issues.
- Ensure that the FPA Coordinator is informed of any concerns or conflicts in a timely fashion.
- Work cooperatively with others.
Priority will be given to those who represent a range of the different units in the faculty, and years of study.
FPA Ambassador Duties
There are a number of skill sets and duties that will be required for all ambassadors.
- Coordinate or delegate tasks to other ambassadors, follow up to ensure delegated tasks are completed
- Operate the FPA Research Month Information Desk in the River Building
- Speak coherently and effectively to provide information and schedules.
- Demonstrate interpersonal skills required to answer questions.
- Direct people to events and promote upcoming events.
- Seek meaningful feedback from others.
- Assist with Event Operations
- Create a welcoming environment by greeting participants at events.
- Work as a team by assisting with event set-up and tasks (event runner).
- Perform check-in and registration procedures.
In addition there are some roles that are targeted at students with specific interests and abilities:
- Journalists: Assist FPA Communications Writer with stories/blogs about events and student experience.
- Superb writing and editing skills required
- Writing sample to be provided with application
- Photographer/Videographer: Assist FPA Media Specialist with photos and videos from events and student experience.
- Artistic eye required
- Experience with photography and videography
- Familiar with Instagram and Instagram video editing capabilities
- Photography sample to be provided with application
- Outreach: Attend recruitment events on campus and provide information to prospective students about life as a Carleton student
- Outgoing personality
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Comfortable speaking with strangers and/or presenting to a group
FPA Ambassadors will be expected to volunteer for at least six shifts in the winter semester and at least two shifts in the fall semester. Each shift will be no more than four hours in length or equivalent. FPA Ambassadors can arrange their own schedule through an online service to be provided by the Office of the Dean.
Event Dates & Details
- February 2: Dean’s Honour List Reception
- February 24 – March 31: FPA Research Month is the largest event and is composed of many events sponsored by a range of units in the faculty including symposia, panel discussions, conferences, and lectures. It showcases undergraduate research projects, graduate student and faculty research, as well as research and commentary from external participants.
- March: March Break Recruitment Event
- June 7: Katherine A.H. Graham Lecture on Aboriginal Policy
- September : FPA Currents Lecture and FPA Connects (an event to build connections between FPA students and their university, local, national, and international communities).
- October: CU Preview Day (Recruitment event)
- December: Ottawa Parents Evening (Recruitment event)
More details about events can be found here.
A mandatory FPA Ambassador training sessions will take place on January 28th. Additional training may be required for those selected to fulfill the Journalist, Videographer/Photographer and Outreach roles.
- Apparel – each FPA Research Month Ambassador will receive a complimentary t-shirt to be worn while undertaking their duties. Please review the shirt sizes (fitted) at these links before visiting the application link. Women’s Sizing / Men’s Sizing.
- FPA Ambassador experience will be added to your Co-Curricular Record
- Professional photo and recognition on FPA website
- Appreciation and Award Party with the Dean – celebrate your experience!
- Certificate of Achievement
- Meet students from a wide range of disciplines
- Participate in training to develop professional and personal skills
- Training will include Carleton University Safe Space Program, training on public speaking, networking, and the professional use of social media.
Registration is no longer available. We will be recruiting FPA Ambassadors again in late fall of 2017. If you wish to be reminded about the opportunity please email email@example.com to be notified at that time.