Skip to main content Skip to footer

Resources for Undergraduate Students

We are committed to the academic success of our students, and there are many resources available to help enhance their academic journey at Carleton.

Learning to read your audit, improving your university skill set, and staying informed on registration processes will help you take control of your academic future. Best of all, academic advisors are available to help you at any point in your degree!

Not sure where to start?

Different questions can be answered by different departments of the University. The following chart helps you navigate which resource to consult so that you can start taking control of your academic future right now!

I’m looking to:

Who Can Help?

Understand my audit Student Academic Success Centre
Plan out course selection in my major/minor Departmental Advisor
Add Communication Studies as my major/minor Departmental Advisor
Gain course access All registration activity is managed online through Carleton Central. If you are missing a prerequsite, submit an Override Request through the Main Menu of Carleton Central.
Take courses at another institution in Canada If applying to a Letter of Permission, the Registrar’s Office will oversee your application. Your Departmental Advisor can assist once the credits appear on your audit.
Change, add, drop a major/minor Student Academic Success Centre
Go on exchange Information on applying for the Exchange Process can be found at the International Student Services Office.To learn how exchange would impact your courses contact your Departmental Advisor.
Improve my grades or my study skills Learning Support Services
Understand my major requirements Departmental Advisor
Prepare for registration or register for courses For assistance navigating the registration system, review the Registation website. Your Departmental Advisor can assist with course selection

Change of Program Elements

If you wish to make changes to your existing degree program, you can submit a Change of Program Elements request through Carleton Central.  For more information on changing your Major, please see here or contact the Registrar’s Office at 613-520-3500 or

Change of Degree

If you want to change your degree completely (e.g. Bachelor of Arts to Bachelor of Communication and Media Studies) you must apply through Admissions for an Internal Degree Transfer.  More information regarding degree program changes can be found here. Internal Application information can be found here.

Students may apply to transfer to the Bachelor of Communication and Media Studies in April 2016, to begin September 2016.

Didn't Find What You're Looking For? View Frequently Asked Questions 

Academic Advising

There are two types of academic advising available.

General advising assists you in learning to read your audit, choosing degree elements, and understanding academic regulations or the Academic Performance Evaluation.

If you are experiencing academic difficulty, general advisors can assist in developing a plan to get you back on track. General Advisors are available via email, phone or in person to discuss your academic plan. Their contact information can be found here.

Departmental advising helps you to understand the requirements of your major/minor and plan your degree path. Your Departmental Advisor can also discuss your academic concerns, opportunities, and graduation requirements.

If  you are on campus, you are welcome to drop by in person and say hello.

Please note: During registration periods, due to the high volumes of inquires received, ONLY STUDENTS WHO HAVE BOOKED APPOINTMENTS can be seen in person.

Depending on the nature of your question you may wish to email or book an appointment.

Have a Question? We’re here to help!

By Email

From your Carleton account, send an email when you have a question, cannot locate information, or a change has occurred in your student status or situation. Your advisor will review your file and help you locate the information you are searching for. Normal response time for email is 2-3 business days, and longer during peak times of the year such as registration.

By Appointment

Advising appointments are individualized, half hour consultations during which time you can:

  • review all components of your Major/Minor
  • discuss academic difficulties, low GPA, and academic improvement planning
  • discuss your exchange, letter of permission or transfer credits
  • create a hypothetical course plan for the future
Book an Appointment With Your Undergraduate Administrator 

Additional Resources

Reader’s Digest Resource Centre

The School of Journalism and Communication is privileged to have the Reader’s Digest Resource Centre, which houses program specific materials and archives in Room 4400, Richcraft Hall.  This Centre has been in operation for more than 35 years.  It provides students, faculty, staff and researchers with a collegial environment in which to browse, study, collaborate, research or just relax.

Communication Undergraduate Student Society (CUSS)

The Communication Studies program has an active student organization: the Communication Undergraduate Student Society (CUSS). The CUSS page on Facebook is a place for Carleton Communication students to get updates about the program, events on and off campus and career opportunities. They also have a new website – CUSS Connection!

Reader's Digest Resource Centre