What is STUDIO FIRST?
STUDIO FIRST is an intensive five-week studio in architectural design for students from a wide range of backgrounds who are considering graduate studies in architecture.
The program provides a post-baccalaureate “bridge” from an undergraduate degree in any field toward entrance into a three-year accredited professional degree in architecture. The main goal of the program is for participants to generate portfolio material appropriate for application to a three-year Master of Architecture accredited degree program.
Architecture is well-suited to people from diverse disciplines, from visual arts and engineering to geography and the humanities. The Azrieli School of Architecture & Urbanism’s STUDIO FIRST program will allow students to immerse themselves in studio culture and determine whether architecture is the right path to follow.
- work on three separate studio projects;
- attend lectures on architectural theory and practice;
- learn how to use key digital media tools central to the profession;
- participate in workshops on portfolio preparation and grad school applications.
When does STUDIO FIRST take place?
- May 19 – June 24, 2021
- July 21 – August 26, 2021
- Five (5) Week Program — 40 hours per week
Where does STUDIO FIRST take place?
Instruction will take place online.
Who is the Program Director?
Zach Colbert is an award-winning architect, a licensed practitioner in Ontario, New York, and Arizona, and an assistant professor at the Carleton University Azrieli School of Architecture & Urbanism.
When is the application deadline?
Applications will continue to be reviewed on a rolling basis until the class is full.
Who can apply?
The program is open to all graduates of a bachelor’s degree program from a university or equivalent, in any major, or those currently enrolled in an undergraduate degree program. Mature students are also eligible to apply. Please contact us (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions about your eligibility for STUDIO FIRST.
I am an international student, am I eligible to apply?
Yes. STUDIO FIRST does not have any status restrictions for applicants. Our application process only looks at your eligibility for the program itself (i.e., holding a bachelor’s degree or currently enrolled in one, and your resume, essay, and image).
What is required in the application?
- Essay (500-words)
- Describe your interest in the program. Tell us about yourself and why you have an interest in pursuing an architectural education.
- Please include a resume or CV that lists professional, academic, and extra-curricular achievements. Include honours, awards, registrations, and all relevant accomplishments.
- Accepted file format: .pdf
- One image
- Please include one recent visual representation of your work that showcases your aptitude for a studio-based design program. The image can be of any medium, as long as it’s an original piece, no larger than 11″×17″. Examples include drawing, painting, etching, photography, an image produced through a digital program, a photograph of a 3D object that you’ve built, or other work.
- Accepted file format: .jpg, .pdf, .png, .tiff
How much does it cost?
$2,900 + HST (includes some studio supplies)
There is a non-refundable application fee of $45.
A non-refundable deposit of 50% of the program cost is by March 1, 2021 (for the May-June program), and by May 1, 2021 (for the July-August program). This reserves your spot.
The balance of the amount owing will be due by April 19, 2021 (for the May-June program), and by June 21, 2021 (for the July-August program).
What is the cancellation policy?
Should you find that you are unable to attend and have already paid the tuition, you have two options: request a refund or apply for a deferral.
If you request a refund, the policy is as follows:
- Cancellation by April 19 inclusive (for the May-June program): a refund of 50% of the cost of the full paid tuition will be issued. Cancellation after April 19: No refund will be issued.
- Cancellation by June 21 inclusive (for the July-August program): a refund of 50% of the cost of the full paid tuition will be issued. Cancellation after June 21: No refund will be issued.
If you request a deferral:
- You have the option to defer your participation and fees for one year. If your deferral is approved, your tuition paid will be carried forward and applied to your account for the following year. Only one deferral will be granted per application, i.e., you will forfeit your application and tuition fees should you choose not to participate in the program in the year following your deferral.
What does the registration fee cover?
The registration fee covers some studio supplies.
Does this program count as a credit course at the university?
STUDIO FIRST is a non-credit course at the university. Participants enrolled in STUDIO FIRST are not considered to be registered in a university course. Participants will receive a certificate of completion at the end of the program.
Can I apply to Carleton’s MArch in the same year that I register for STUDIO FIRST?
Applicants to Carleton’s MArch program will have to follow all requirements and deadlines posted by Graduate Studies. Please refer to the M.Arch webpage for more details.
What are the requirements for a graduate school application portfolio?
Each school has its own requirements. Please refer to the information on the How to Apply webpage for Carleton’s requirements.