What is Studio First?
Studio First is an intensive program, to help participants develop portfolio material for application to the three-year graduate (professional) programs in Architecture. The three-year Master of Architecture program is intended for individuals holding an undergraduate degree from diverse backgrounds, and wishing to become an architect. Studio First is a stepping stone where participants experience intensive studio culture through lectures from major thinkers in the theory and practice of architecture, as well as workshops in digital applications, portfolio preparation, and writing statements of interest.
When does Studio First take place?
- Five (5) Week Program — 40 hours per week
- May 23 – June 27, 2018
Where does Studio First take place?
All instruction will take place in the Architecture studios and labs at the Azrieli School of Architecture & Urbanism.
Who is the Program Director?
Zachary Colbert, AIA NCARB
Who Can Apply?
The program is open to graduates of an Honours Bachelor program from a University or equivalent, in any major, or those planning to graduate by spring 2018.
I am an international Student, am I eligible to apply?
Yes. Studio First doesn’t have any status restrictions for applicants. Our application process only looks at your eligibility for the program itself (i.e. holding a Bachelor’s degree and your resume, essay, image, etc.). Therefore it is your responsibility to get the required documentation to enter and stay in Canada.
- 500-word Essay
- Describe your interest in the program. We would like you to use this opportunity to tell us about yourself, and why you have an interest in an architectural education.
- Please include a resume or CV, which includes your professional, academic and extra-curricular achievements. Also include honours, awards, registrations, and all relevant achievements.
- Accepted file format: .pdf
- One Image
- Please include one recent visual representation of your work that showcases your aptitude for a studio based design program. This can be of any medium, as long as it’s an original 2-dimensional piece, no larger than 11×17. E.g. a drawing, a painting, an etching, photography, an image produced through a digital program, etc.
- Accepted file format: .jpg, .pdf, .png, .tiff
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until all spots in the program are filled.
How Much Does it Cost?
$2960 + HST (includes some studio supplies, and access to computer software).
There is a non-refundable application fee of $45. A non-refundable deposit of 50% of the program cost is due on April 3, 2018 and after this date, the non-refundable deposit is due two weeks after being accepted into the program. The balance of the amount owing will be due by May 9, 2018 to keep your spot.
What is the cancellation policy?
Should you find that you are unable to attend and have already paid the tuition, the refund policy is as follows:
- Cancellation by May 16, inclusive: a refund of 40% of the cost of the full tuition will be issued.
- Cancellation after May 16: No refund will be issued.
What does the Registration fee cover?
The registration fee covers some studio supplies and access to computer software while enrolled in the program.
It does not cover:
Housing and Transportation costs: Participants will cover their own housing and transportation costs, including a field trip to Montreal.
U-PASS: Studio First is a non-credit course hence participants are not eligible to obtain a U-Pass. Participants living off-campus will need to arrange for their own transportation.
Access to summer school services: Participants who are current students at the university will get access to services just like any other non summer students of the university.
Is there Housing Available?
Housing is available through Carleton University’s Conference services:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: http://conferenceservices.carleton.ca/accommodations/summer-residents/
Does this program count as a credit course at the University?
Studio First is a non-credit course at the university. Participants enrolled in Studio First are not considered to be registered in a university course.
Can I apply to Carleton’s M. Arch in the same year that I register for Studio First?
Applicants to Carleton’s M.Arch program will have to follow all requirements and deadlines posted by Graduate Studies. Please refer to the M.Arch webpage for more details.
What are the requirements for graduate school application portfolio?
Each school has its own set of requirements. Please refer to the information on the How to Apply webpage for Carleton’s requirements.