Welcome Art History students
The current Art History graduate students have compiled some information that we think may be useful for newcomers to Ottawa and Carleton. It includes a list of our favorite places in Ottawa, as well as tips and information about Carleton and the department. Hopefully this will make for a great year!
Useful On-Campus information
- Don’t forget to pick up your key for the grad office at Barbara Shannon’s office!
- Internet access is available in the grad room for those who have laptops.
- The entire university has internet access via network jacks in each room (hint: bring your own network cable).
- Best campus food: Mike’s Place in the University Centre.
- Closest computer lab: fourth floor St. Pat’s
- Closest printing location: third floor St. Pat’s (you have to pay with your Campus Card). Other printing locations include the Library, Dunton Tower, Lanark House, Loeb, and Southam Hall.
- Campus cards can be picked up at 102 F Robertson Hall, and you can put money on your card at that location as well as Information Carleton (fourth floor, University Centre), The Library Copy Shop, and Residence Commons. Campus cards can be used as payment for photocopy machines (Library, Loeb, University Centre, St. Patrick’s), as well as payment for some vending machines and at restaurants all over campus. Campus Card Web site.
- The Writing Tutorial Service is for grads and undergrads that need help editing papers. TAs often find it useful to send their students to the WTS.
- The Graduate Students’ Association (GSA) is a useful source for grad students. They provide free handbooks and daily organizers with lots of great info on university services. They also have computers and fax machines for our use.
- Health and Counseling: A pharmacy, doctors, dentists, and counselors are on-campus at Health and Counseling Services (second level, Carleton Technology and Training Centre). Also, if you are a TA and need new glasses/contacts, you can pick up a form at the CUPE 4600 office (fifth floor, University Centre) that will reimburse up to $125 on your optical prescriptions (however, this is a one-time only deal).
- The Department of Athletics and Recreation provide many sports and recreation programs that we are already paying for in our tuition, so take advantage of this service! They also offer classes at a reduced rate for students.
* OC Transpo is Ottawa’s bus (and light rail) service. Student monthly and yearly passes are available, or you can purchase tickets at various locations throughout Ottawa. More info on bus routes and passes can be found at: http://www.octranspo.com/Main_MenuE.asp.
Ottawa Galleries and Museums:
Bank of Canada/Currency Museum (Sparks)
Billings Estate (Cabot)
Bytown Museum (Wellington)
Canada Agriculture Museum (Experimental Farm)
Canadian Museum of Contemporary Photography (Rideau)
Canadian Museum of Nature (McLeod)
Canadian Museum of Science and Technology (St. Laurent)
Canadian War Museum (Sussex)
Carleton University Art Gallery (St.Pat’s)
Diefenbunker (Carp Road, Carp)
Galerie SAW Gallery (Nicholas)
Gallery 101 (Nepean)
Karsh Masson Gallery (Sussex)
National Gallery of Canada (Sussex)
Ottawa Art Gallery (Daly)
Gatineau Galleries and Museums:
Canadian Museum of Civilization (Laurier)
Canadian Postal Museum (Laurier)
Galerie Montcalm (Laurier)
Art Sales and Rental (Daly)
Dale Smith Gallery (Beechwood)
Galerie D’Art Vincent (Chateau Laurier)
Galerie Pierre Bernard (Gatineau)
Galerie St-Laurent + Hill (Cumberland)
Inuit Art Foundation (Merivale)
Koyman Galleries (various shopping malls)
Wallack Galleries (Bank)
Bakery – the French Baker (Murray), the Brown Loaf (Elgin)
Bistro/Eatery -The Black Tomato (George), Urban Bistro (Wellington)
Breakfast – Cora’s (Rideau; Merivale), the Manx (Elgin)
Burgers – The Works (Putman at Beechwood; Richmond) *veggie available
Canadian/regional – Domus Café (Murray)
Caribbean/Asian fusion – Savannah Cafe (Gilmore St.)
Chinese – The Shanghai Restaurant (Somerset) * Thursday night djs are fun
Deli – Bottega Nicastro (George)
Dessert – Oh So Good (York; Elgin)
24 Hour Diner – Elgin Street Diner (Elgin) * also great poutine
Ethiopian – Horn of Africa
French fusion – Absinthe Café Restro Bar (Holland)
Gelato – Pure Gelato (Elgin; market) some recommended gelato flavours: ginger, pistachio, pear, almond, coconut.
Greek – Greek on Wheels (Hawthorne) *very fast delivery downtown
Hull restaurant for a night out – Tartuffe
Indian – Haveli (Clarence; Robertson), Moni Mahal (Laurier)
Italian – Zingaro’s (Beechwood), Vittoria’s Trattoria (William)
Lebanese – The Glebe Cafe (Bank)
Malasian – Chahaya Malaysia (Montreal Rd)
Martini Bar – The Aloha Room (Bank), Mash (Elgin), The Collection (market), Bar 56 (market)
Mexican – Pancho Villa (Elgin)
On-campus food/pub – Mike’s Place (University Centre)
Pizza – Colonnade (4 locations), Pizzaza (Hull)
Pub – The Manx (Elgin), The Heart and Crown (Clarence)
Poutine – Sorrento’s
Superfancy – Beckta (Nepean)
Sushi – Sushi 88 (Somerset)
Sushi for a night out – Wasabi (Clarence)
Thai – Siam Kitchen (Bank), Siam Bistro (Wellington), Khao Thai (Murray)
Vegetarian – Green Door (Main), The Wild Oat Bakery & Natural Foods (Bank)
Vietnamese Pho – Thu Do (Somerset)
Wine Bar – Black Cat Cafe (Murray)
Capital Music Hall (Rideau)
Invisible Cinema (Bank)
Elgin Street Video (Elgin)
Mayfair (cheap and good for double bills)
Upward Dog (McKay)
Rama Lotus Yoga Centre (Gladstone)
Fraser’s Sports (Bank and McLaren)
Mountain Equipment Co-op (Richmond)
Lululemon (Richmond) *yoga stuff
Health food stores:
Herb and Spice (Bank; Wellington)
Natural Food Pantry (York)
La Bottega (in the market)
Man Phong and Kowloon Market (Asian Grocery)
Green’s Korean and Japanese food (Rideau)
La Pointe (fish store on Wellington and in the Market sushi quality salmon days: Mondays and Thursdays)
Saslove’s (meat market, on Wellington and in the Market)
Mother Tongue Books (Bank)
Octopus Books (Third Avenue)
Nicholas Hoare (Sussex)
All Books (Rideau – next to the ByTowne theatre)
Clothes by Muriel Dombret (Wellington)
Malls: Rideau, Bayshore, St. Laurent
Montreal: DEX warehouse, Urban Outfitters, Simons
Art supply stores:
Bridgehead (several locations)
Planet Coffee (Market)
Morala’s Cafe (in the Glebe on Bank)
*** Cover Image Credit: Diane Borsato, Museum, 2006 ***