- How to share the link to a media item’s page
- How to share the media item’s embed code
- How to stop sharing a media item
MediaSpace allows you to upload and control access to your media. By default, an uploaded media item is not published and set as private – only the owner of the media can access and view it.
If you wish to share your media item, you need to change its setting to unlisted – the item will then become visible and accessible to anyone who has the direct link to it. An unlisted media item is not shown in any channel or category within the MediaSpace website and cannot be found by searching by its title, description, or tags. This is a useful setting when you wish to share a media item with people inside/outside of Carleton University but don’t want the item broadly viewed on MediaSpace.
NOTE: Sharing a media item as unlisted does not protect the confidentiality of that item. The item’s page is visible to anyone with a link to the page.
All media in Mediaspace is set to private by default. Until you set the media item to unlisted only the owner will be able to see the media even if you share a link or an embed code.
- On your My Media page, click the checkbox next to the item you wish to share.
- From the Actions drop-down menu, select Publish.
- Select Unlisted, then click Save.
- Click on the Share button below your video.
- Click Link to Media Page and copy the URL (direct link to item’s page).
- Share the URL with your intended audience via email, social media, etc.
- Follow instructions 1-3 above.
- Click on the Share button and click on Embed. Choose your player size and copy the embed code.
- Share the embed code with your intended audience or paste it into your site.
- On your My Media page, click checkbox next to the item you wish to stop sharing.
- From the Actions drop-down menu, select + Publish.
- Choose Private from the set of choices, then click Save
- You may be prompted to confirm that you want to stop sharing this item. If so, confirm that by clicking OK.
MediaSpace allows you to easily create and share playlists to help you guide your viewers/students to watch your media in a particular sequence. Shared playlists will show all the media items in a playlist in the same media player.
To create a Mediaspace playlist:
- Go to your My Media page.
- Select Add to Playlist from the Actions drop-down menu.
- Type a name for your playlist in the Create new playlist field.
- Click Create. Your playlist will now be selected under the Select Playlist heading.
- Click Save.
TIP: You can now click on “Go To My Playlists” to preview your lists and grab the embed code if you want to share it.
NOTE: Only items that are published as “unlisted” will be able to be added to a playlist. Private or restricted media items cannot be added to playlist.
To add additional media items to a playlist:
- Navigate to My Media.
- Click to check off the media item(s) that you would like to add to a playlist.
- In the Actions drop-down menu, select Add to playlist.
- A new page will load. Check off the playlist(s) you want and click Save.
You can access your playlists by clicking on Go To My Playlists after adding items to a playlist or by clicking on My Playlists in the right-hand corner dropdown menu (click on your name).
To share a playlist by embedding it into a web page:
- Select the playlist you want to share from the list on the left-hand side.
- Click on the embed icon </>.