George V. Hadjisophocleous
Professor Emeritus in Fire Safety Engineering
|Degrees:||B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D. (Mechanical Engineering) University of New Brunswick, FSFPE, P.Eng.|
|Phone:||613-520-2600 x 5801|
|Website:||visit the fire safety engineering website|
Prof. Hadjisophocleous’ mailbox is located in room 3432 C.J. Mackenzie Building, Carleton University, 1125 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa, ON K1S 5B6 Canada
- ECOR3800 Engineering Economics
- CIVE2700 Civil Engineering Materials
- CIVE 4918 Design Project
- CIVE5612 Fire Modelling (previously taught as CIVE5802)
- CIVE5609 / IPIS5504 Fundamentals of Fire Safety Engineering
Fire modelling, smoke management, effectiveness of smoke exhaust systems, design fires, fire risk analysis, performance based codes.
Numerical Modelling of LPG Horizontal Cylindrical Tanks Subjected to Heating Environments (doctoral)
Numerical Studies of Free Convective Flows (master’s)
- 2001 – present Professor and past Industrial Research Chair in Fire Safety Engineering, Carleton University.
- 1989 – 2001 Senior Research Officer and Group Leader, Fire Risk Management Program, Institute for Research in Construction, National Research Council Canada.
- 1990 – 2001 Adjunct Professor of Mechanical Engineering, University of New Brunswick.
- 1987 Lecturer and Research Engineering in Mechanical Engineering, University of New Brunswick.
Honours and Awards
- 2009-2012 Conjoint Professor, School of Engineering, The University of Newcastle, Australia
- 2012 Best Paper of the International Symposium on Tunnel Safety and Security in New York for his paper on experimental results on the heat release rate of railcar fires
- 2006-2011 NSERC Industrial Research Chair in Fire Safety Engineering.
- 2004 Elected Fellow of Society of Fire Protection Engineers (SFPE).
- 2002 Ontario Innovation Trust grant for new Fire Research Facility.
- 2002 Canada Foundation for Innovation grant for new Fire Research Facility.
- 2001-2005 NSERC Industrial Research Chair in Fire Safety Engineering.
- 1998 SFPE Honor Lecturer.
- 1998 ASHRAE, Best Symposium Paper Award.
- 1994 SFPE Invited Speaker.
- 1994 IRC Outstanding Achievement Award, given to the NFL’s Risk-Cost Assessment Team.