Associate Professor in Transportation Engineering and Associate Chair of Graduate Studies in Civil and Environmental Engineering
|Degrees:||B.Sc. Hons, M.Sc. (Ain Shams University, Cairo), M.A.Sc., Ph.D. (British Columbia), P.Eng.|
|Phone:||613-520-2600 x 1709|
Prof. Ismail’s mailbox is located in room 3432 C.J. Mackenzie Building, Carleton University, 1125 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa, ON K1S 5B6 Canada
- ECOR 3800 Engineering Economics
- CIVE 4918 Design Project
- CIVE 5310 Road Safety Analysis
Previous Teaching Assignments
- CIVE 3304 Transportation Engineering and Planning
- CIVE 5806 Advanced Techniques for Road Safety Analysis
- Modelling of sustainable modes of transportation with special focus on non-motorized modes of transportation: crowd dynamics, application of computer vision technologies for data collection, and behavioural analysis.
- Road safety analysis: surrogate safety measures, vision-based road safety analysis, and holistic safety analysis with special focus on sustainable modes of transportation.
- Highway design: development of probabilistic standards for highway geometric design, reliability and risk analysis.
- Modelling and evaluation of intelligent transportation systems with special focus on freight: simulation of cargo and carrier movements at border and inland inspection stations.
- Zheng, L., Ismail, K., Meng, X. (2014) Freeway Safety Estimation using Extreme Value Theory Approaches: a comparative study. Accident Analysis and Prevention (62:32–41).
- Hediyeh, H., Sayed, T., Zaki, M., and Ismail, K. (2014). Automated Analysis of Pedestrian Crossing Speed Behavior at Scramble-Phase Signalized Intersections Using Computer Vision Techniques. (2014) International Journal of Sustainable Transportation. (8(5): 382–397).
- Burns, S., Miranda-Moreno, L., Stipancic, J., Saunier, N., and Ismail, K. (2014) An Accessible and Practical Geocoding Method for Traffic Collision Record Mapping: A Quebec Case Study. Final Acceptance: Transportation Research Record.
- Zheng, L., Ismail, K., Meng, X. (2014). Shifted Gamma-GPD Model to Map the Safety Continuum and Estimate Crashes. Safety Science (64:155–162).
- Fatema, T., Ismail, K., Hassan, Y. (2014). Validation of a Probabilistic Model for the Design of Freeway Entrance Speed Change Lane. Final Acceptance: Transportation Research Record.
- Hussein, M., Sayed, T., Ismail, K., and Van Espen, A. (2014). Calibrating Road Design Guides using Risk-Based Reliability Analysis: A Case Study. Final Acceptance: American Society of Civil Engineers, Journal of Transportation Engineering.
- Zheng, L., Ismail, K., Meng, X. (2014). Evaluation of Peak over Threshold Approach for Road Safety Estimation. Journal of Transportation Safety & Security. In-print. (10.1080/19439962.2014.904029).
- Kassim, A., Ismail, K., Hassan, Y. (2014). Automated Measuring of Cyclist-Motor Vehicle Post Encroachment Time At Signalized Intersections. Final acceptance: Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering.
- Zheng, L., Ismail, K., Meng, X. (2014). Traffic Conflict Techniques for Road Safety Analysis: Open Questions and Some Insights. Final acceptance: Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering.
- 2010 Young Researcher Paper Award (ANB20), Transportation Research Board
- 2010 Canadian Transportation Research Forum Scholarship, Canadian Pacific Railway
- 2010 First-prize Paper Award, Insurance Bureau of Canada
- 2010 Michel Van Aerde Award, Intelligent Transportation Systems Society of Canada
- 2010 Outstanding Paper Award, Transportation Research Board 89th Annual Meeting (ANF10)
- 2009 Transportation Association of Canada Foundation Scholarship, EBA Engineering Consultants Ltd.
- 2009 Mavis Johnson Scholarship, Insurance Corporation of British Columbia
- 2006-2007 University Graduate Fellowship, University of British Columbia
- 2005-2006 Walter C. Koerner Scholarship University of British Columbia
- 2005 First-prize UBC-Institute of Transportation Engineers Student Presentation Competition
- 2004 Graduate Entrance Scholarship, University of British Columbia
- 1999-2002 First-class Student Award, Ain Shams University
- Tazeen Fatema
- Ph.D. (In Prog.) co-supervised with Dr. Y. Hassan
- Ph.D. (In Prog.) co-supervised with Dr. A.O. Abd El Halim
- Dionne Amsterdam
- M.Eng. (Project) (2016)
- Peter Apasnore
- M.A.Sc. (2016) Bicycle-Vehicle Interactions at Mid-Sections of Mixed Traffic Streets: Examining Passing Distance and Bicycle Comfort Perception
- Haitham Al Rajei
- M.A.Sc. (2015)
- Haider Talib
- M.A.Sc. (2015)
- Ali Ihssian
- M.A.Sc. (2014) co-supervised with Dr. Y. Hassan
- Ali Kassim
- Ph.D. (2014) Innovative Techniques for Analyzing Cyclist Behaviour and Predicting Cyclist Safety (co-supervised with Dr. Y. Hassan)
- Abdullah El-Shabani
- M.Eng. (Project) (2013)
- Zohreh Rashedi Ashrafi
- M.A.Sc. (2013) Investigation of Pedestrian Movement in Groups and in High-density Bottlenecks using Discrete Choice Modelling Framework
- Lai Zheng
- Visiting Student, October 2012 – April 2014