Associate Professor in Geotechnical Engineering
|Degrees:||B.Sc. (Tabriz), M.E.Sc. (TMU, Tehran), Ph.D. (Western Ontario), P.Eng.|
|Phone:||613-520-2600 x 8890|
|Office:||4206 Canal Building|
|Website:||visit my research website|
Prof. Rayhani’s mailbox is located in room 3432 C.J. Mackenzie Building, Carleton University, 1125 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa, ON K1S 5B6 Canada
- CIVE3208 Geotechnical Mechanics
- ENVE4002/ENVE 5201 Environment Geotechnical Engineering
- CIVE4918 Design Project
- CIVE5500 Earth Retaining Structures
Previous Teaching Assignments
- CIVE4208 Geotechnical Engineering
- CIVE4301 Foundation Engineering
- CIVE5501 Advanced Foundation Engineering
- Advanced Foundation Systems: Developing/retrofitting innovative foundation solutions for both inland and offshore infrastructure including Hook piles (developed and patented), FRP piles, bollard piles and pile setup/freeze.
- Soil and foundation improvement solutions for seismic resistant design: This program is focused on developing solutions to reduce the earthquake input motion and increase the resistance of foundations against earthquakes. A wide range of projects covering seismic site response, soil-structure interaction, and techniques to improve the capacity of pile foundations are performed.
- Modern landfills for municipal solid waste: The focus of this stream is on long-term hydraulic performance of landfill liner systems landfill stabilization and settlement, leachate collection and treatment, and cover design. A Nano-technology based novel filter has recently been invented from this research
- Geotechnical implications of climate change: Aims at developing prevention measures for climate change (e.g., developing biocovers for greenhouse gas reduction from landfills), and adaptation techniques from geoengineering perspective (e.g., develop/improve sustainable foundations in warming permafrost).
Recent Representative Publications
- Torabi, H., and Rayhani, M.T., (2017). Derivation of equivalent-linear pile head impedance functions using a hybrid method. Soil Dynamics & Earthquake Engineering.
- Safari, E., Al-Suwaidi, G., and Rayhani, M.T. (2017): Performance of biocover in mitigating methane emission from municipal solid waste landfills in cold climates. ASCE Journal of Environmental Engineering, (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/).
- Aldaeef, A., and Rayhani, M.T., (2017). Adfreeze strength and creep behavior of pile foundations in warming permafrost. Special Issue on Sustainable Civil Infrastructures (Analysis and Design of Deep Foundations), Springer, pp. 254-264.
- Torabi, H., and Rayhani, M.T., (2016). Comprehensive nonlinear seismic response of Leda clay in Ottawa Valley. Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering, 15(1): 123-147.
- Giraldo, J., and Rayhani, M.T., (2016). Axial and lateral load transfer of fibre-reinforced polymer piles in soft clay. Int. Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, Doi:10.1080/19386362.2016.1198109.
- Afriyie, G., Braimah, A., and Rayhani, M.T. (2016). Explosive effects on embankment dams. Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, DOI: 10.1080/19386362.2016.1262308.
- Aldaeef, A., and Rayhani, M.T., (2015). Hydraulic performance of compacted clay liners under simulated daily thermal cycles. Journal of Environmental Management. 162: 171-178.
- Torabi, H., and Rayhani, M.T., (2014). Three dimensional finite element modeling of seismic soil-foundation-structure interaction in soft clay. J. of Computers and Geotechnics, 60:9-19.
- Sarabadani, H., and Rayhani, M.T., (2014). GCL shrinkage under simulated daily thermal cycles. Journal of Waste Management Research, DOI: 10.1177/0734242X14529179.
- Rayhani, M. and El Naggar, M.H., (2012). Physical & numerical modelling of seismic soil-structure interaction in layered soils. Journal of Geotechnical & Geol. Eng., 30(2): 331-342.
- 2016 Best Paper Award, GeoVancouver Conference, Canadian Geotechnical Society
- 2008 (declined) NSERC Postdoctoral Visiting Fellowship at Canadian Government Laboratories
- 2007 Novak Prestigious Award for Achievements in Research, University of Western Ontario
- 2007 Dean’s Award for Research Excellence, University of Western Ontario
- 2006 SOGS 125th Anniversary Award: University of Western Ontario
- 2006 Graduate Teaching Assistant Award: University of Western Ontario
- Abdulghader Abdulrahman
- Ph.D. (In Prog.) Performance of pile foundations in warming permafrost
- Mohammadamin Hosseini
- Ph.D. (In Prog.)
- Manuel Sanchez Sardon
- M.A.Sc. (In Prog.) Combined Evaporation and Freeze-Thaw Effects in Polymer Amended Mature Fine Tailings (co-supervised with Dr. P. Simms)
- Hooman Torabi
- Ph.D. (In Prog.) A hybrid approach for non-linear soil-structure analysis of pile-supported bridges
- Ghanim Al-Suwaidi
- Shanti Asrini Ratmono
- M.Eng. (Project) (2016)
- Ghazi Abou El Hosn
- M.A.Sc. (2015) Enhancing shaft capacity of cast-in-place piles using a hook system
- George M. Adom
- M.A.Sc. (2015) Innovative foundations for bollards and barriers (co-supervised with Dr. A. Braimah)
- Mohammadamin Hosseini
- M.A.Sc. (2015)
- Narges Karimi Tabar
- M.A.Sc. (2015) Experimental and Numerical Simulation of Stress Distribution in Landfills (co-supervised with Dr. Paul Van Geel)
- Abdulghader Abdulrahman
- M.A.Sc. (2014) Hydraulic performance of compacted clay liners
- George A. Afriyie
- M.A.Sc. (2014) Explosive effects on embankment dams (co-supervised with Dr. Abass Braimah)
- Juan David Giraldo Velez
- M.A.Sc. (2013) Composite micropiles for seismic resistant design
- Hamid Sarabadani
- M.A.Sc. (2013) Hydration and Shrinkage of Geosynthetic Clay Liners under Simulated Conditions
- Alireza Afshin
- M.A.Sc. (2012) Time-Dependent Pile Capacity Gain in Soft Soils
- Mariam Yary
- B.Eng. (2017) Shear Strength Behaviour of Leda Clay
- Arden Barclay
- B.Eng. (2012) Potential risks of heat exposure to GCL in a landfill
- Mostafa Abdel-Razek
- B.Eng. (2012) Desiccation cracking of CCL under simulated field conditions
- Tahmineh Sarabian Tehrani
- B.Eng. (2011) GCL hydration from clayey subsoil
- John Samuel Kabanda
- B.Eng. (2011) Time dependent pile-soil interface resistance
- Robert Anderson
- B.Eng. (2010) Factors affection GCL hydration from subsoil