Associate Professor in Geotechnical Engineering
|Degrees:||B.Sc. (Tabriz), M.E.Sc. (TMU, Tehran), Ph.D. (Western Ontario), P.Eng.|
|Phone:||613-520-2600 x 8890|
|Office:||4206 Canal Building|
|Website:||visit my research website|
Prof. Rayhani’s mailbox is located in room 3432 C.J. Mackenzie Building, Carleton University, 1125 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa, ON K1S 5B6 Canada
- CIVE3208 Geotechnical Mechanics
- ENVE4002/ENVE 5201 Environment Geotechnical Engineering
- CIVE4918 Design Project
- CIVE5501 Advanced Foundation Engineering
- CIVE 5500 Earth Retaining Structures
Previous Teaching Assignments
- CIVE4208 Geotechnical Engineering
- CIVE4301 Foundation Engineering
- CIVE5500 Earth Retaining Structures
- CIVE5501 Advanced Foundation Engineering
- Advanced Foundation Systems: Developing/retrofitting innovative foundation solutions for both inland and offshore infrastructure including Hook piles (developed and patented), FRP piles, bollard piles and pile setup/freeze.
- Soil and foundation improvement solutions for seismic resistant design: This program is focused on developing solutions to reduce the earthquake input motion and increase the resistance of foundations against earthquakes. A wide range of projects covering seismic site response, soil-structure interaction, and techniques to improve the capacity of pile foundations are performed.
- Modern landfills for municipal solid waste: The focus of this stream is on long-term hydraulic performance of landfill liner systems landfill stabilization and settlement, leachate collection and treatment, and cover design. A Nano-technology based novel filter has recently been invented from this research
- Geotechnical implications of climate change: Aims at developing prevention measures for climate change (e.g., developing biocovers for greenhouse gas reduction from landfills), and adaptation techniques from geoengineering perspective (e.g., develop/improve sustainable foundations in warming permafrost)
Recent Representative Publications
- Aldaeef A., and Rayhani M.T., (2020). Load transfer and creep behavior of helical piles in frozen ground. ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering.
- Aldaeef A.,and Rayhani, M.T. (2019). Load transfer and creep behavior of open-ended pipe piles in frozen and unfrozen ground, Innovative Infrastructure Solutions.
- Afriyie, G., Braimah, A., and Rayhani, M.T. (2018). Explosive effects on embankment dams. Journal of Geotechnical Engineering,DOI: 10.1080/19386362.2016.1262308.
- Torabi, H., and Rayhani, M.T., (2017). Equivalent-linear pile head impedance functions using a hybrid method. Soil Dynamics & Earthquake Engineering.
- Safari, E., Al-Suwaidi, G., and Rayhani, M.T. (2017): Performance of biocover in mitigating methane emission from municipal solid waste landfills in cold climates. ASCE Journal of Environmental Engineering.
- Aldaeef, A., and Rayhani, M.T., (2017). Adfreeze strength and creep behavior of pile foundations in warming permafrost. Special Issue on Sustainable Civil Infrastructures (Analysis and Design of Deep Foundations), Springer, pp. 254-264.
- Giraldo, J., and Rayhani, M.T., (2016). Axial and lateral load transfer of fibre-reinforced polymer piles in soft clay. Int. Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, Doi:10.1080/19386362.2016.1198109.
- Aldaeef, A., and Rayhani, M.T., (2015). Hydraulic performance of compacted clay liners under simulated daily thermal cycles. Journal of Environmental Management. 162: 171-178.
- Torabi, H., and Rayhani, M.T., (2014). Three-dimensional finite element modeling of seismic soil-foundation-structure interaction in soft clay. J. of Computers and Geotechnics, 60:9-19.
- 2016 Best Paper Award, GeoVancouver Conference, Canadian Geotechnical Society
- 2008 (declined) NSERC Postdoctoral Visiting Fellowship at Canadian Government Laboratories
- 2007 Novak Prestigious Award for Achievements in Research, University of Western Ontario
- 2006 SOGS 125th Anniversary Award: University of Western Ontario
Amir Tabatabaei, Ph.D. (In Prog.) Performance of pile foundations in warming permafrost
Amirhossein Amanzadeh, MSc. (In Prog.) Use of freezing liquid in enhancing pile-soil adfreez strength
Oday Al-Heetimi, Ph.D. (In Prog.) Influence of seasonal climate cycle on performance of biocovers in cold climate
Amin Hosseini, Ph.D. (In Prog.) Dynamic response of hollow FRP piles in shaking table tests
Abdulghader Abdulrahman, Ph.D. (2019) Performance of conventional and helical piles in frozen soil
Manuel Sanchez Sardon, M.A.Sc. (2018) Evaporation and freeze-thaw in tailings (co-supervised with Dr. P. Simms)
Hooman Torabi, Ph.D. (2018) A hybrid approach for non-linear soil-structure analysis of pile-supported bridges
Ghanim Al-Suwaidi, M.Eng.(Project) (2016): A nanotechnology-based filter for water treatment and purification
Shanti Asrini Ratmono, M.Eng. (Project) (2016): Influence of soil salinity on shear strength of Leda clay
Ghazi Abou El Hosn, M.A.Sc. (2015) Enhancing shaft capacity of cast-in-place piles using a hook system
George M. Adom, M.A.Sc. (2015) Innovative foundations for bollards and barriers (co-supervised with Dr. A. Braimah)
Mohammadamin Hosseini, M.A.Sc. (2015): Load transfer of FRP piles in fine grain soils
Narges Karimi Tabar, M.A.Sc. (2015) Experimental and Numerical Simulation of Stress Distribution in Landfills (co-supervised with Dr. Paul Van Geel)
Abdulghader Abdulrahman, M.A.Sc. (2014) Hydraulic performance of compacted clay liners
George A. Afriyie, M.A.Sc. (2014) Explosive effects on embankment dams (co-supervised with Dr. Abass Braimah)
Juan David Giraldo Velez, M.A.Sc. (2013) Composite micropiles for seismic resistant design
Alireza Afshin, M.A.Sc. (2012) Time-Dependent Pile Capacity Gain in Soft Soils
Mariam Yary, B.Eng. (2017) Shear strength behaviour of Leda Clay
Arden Barclay, B.Eng. (2012) Potential risks of heat exposure to GCL in a landfill
Mostafa Abdel-Razek, B.Eng. (2012) Desiccation cracking of CCL under simulated field conditions
Tahmineh Sarabian Tehrani, B.Eng. (2011) GCL hydration from clayey subsoil
John Samuel Kabanda, B.Eng. (2011) Time dependent pile-soil interface resistance
Robert Anderson, B.Eng. (2010) Factors affection GCL hydration from subsoil