Professor in Geotechnical Engineering and Director of the Ottawa-Carleton Institute for Civil Engineering
|Degrees:||B.Sc. Engineering (Peradeniya), M.A.Sc., Ph.D. (British Columbia), P.Eng.|
|Phone:||613-520-2600 x 5802|
Prof. Sivathayalan’s mailbox is located in room 3432 C.J. Mackenzie Building, Carleton University, 1125 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa, ON K1S 5B6 Canada
- CIVE4301 Foundation Engineering
- CIVE4918 Design Project
- CIVE5505 Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering
Previous Teaching Assignments
- ECOR1101 Mechanics I
- CIVE2101 Mechanics II
- CIVE3208 Geotechnical Mechanics
- CIVE4208 Geotechnical Engineering
- CIVE4907 Engineering Project
- ENVE4907 Engineering Project
- CIVE5300 Advanced Soil Mechanics
- CIVE5801 Special Topic in Geotechnical Engineering
Static and dynamic behaviour of soils, liquefaction, laboratory testing, constitutive relations, and geosynthetics
Honours and Awards
- 2010 Stermac Award, Canadian Geotechnical Society
- 2001 ASTM Award for Outstanding Article on the Practice of Geotechnical Testing.
- Prasanna, R., Sinthujan, N.& Sivathayalan, S., (2020), Effects of the initial direction and subsequent rotation of principal stresses on the liquefaction potential of loose sand, ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, 146(3):(04019130)1-13.
- Daliri, F., Simms, P. and Sivathayalan, S., (2016), Shear and dewatering behaviour of high density gold tailings in a laboratory simulation of multi-layer deposition, Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 53(8):1246-1257.
- Sivathayalan, S., Logeswaran, P. and Manmatharajan, V., (2015), Cyclic Resistance of a Loose Sand Subjected to Rotation of Principal Stresses, ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, 141(3):(04014113)1-13.
- Sivathayalan, S. and Mehrabi Yazdi, A., (2014), Influence of Strain History on Post Liquefaction Deformation Characteristics of Sands, ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, 140(3):(04013019)1-14.
- Khaheshi Banab, K., Kolaj, M., Motazedian, D., Sivathayalan, S., Hunter, J., Crow, H. and Pugin, A., (2012), Seismic site response analysis for Ottawa, Canada: A comprehensive study using measurements and numerical simulations, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, 102(5):1976-1993.
- Sivathayalan, S. and Ha, D., (2011), Effect of Static Shear Stress on the Cyclic Resistance of Sands in Simple Shear Loading, Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 48(10):1471-1484.
- Sivathayalan, S. and Logeswaran, P., (2008), Experimental assessment of the response of sands under shear-volume coupled deformation, Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 45(9):1310-1323.
- Vaid, Y.P. and Sivathayalan, S, (2000), Fundamental factors affecting liquefaction susceptibility of sands, Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 37(3):592-606.
- Vaid, Y.P., Sivathayalan, S., and Stedman, D., (1999), Influence of specimen-reconstituting method on the undrained response of sand, ASTM Geotechnical Testing Journal, 22(3):187-195
Aravind Murali M.A.Sc. (in progress)
Aashu Bedrae M.A.Sc (in progress)
Jay Wills M.A.Sc. (in progress) (co-supervised with Prof. M. Pouragha)
Kanagalingam, Karshan M.Eng. (Project) (in progress)
Ramakrishnan, Prasanthan M.A.Sc. (in progress)
Name withheld M.A.Sc. (In Prog.) Uncertainty quantification in non-linear seismic wave propagation (co-supervised by Prof. A. Sarkar)
Name withheld M.Eng. (Project) (In Prog.)
Elham Nakhostin Ph.D. (In Prog.) as co-supervisor with Prof. S. Kenny
Name withheld Ph.D. (In Prog.)
Premnath Selvarajah Ph.D. (In Prog.)
Name withheld M.A.Sc. (In Prog.)
Prasanna Roussesu Ph.D. (2020) Assessment of Liquefaction Characteristics of Sand Under Coupled Action of Compression and Shear Waves
Nanthinee Porchelvam M.A.SC. (2020) Soil structure interaction (SSI) analysis of shear wall buildings with a below-ground parkade (Co-supervised by Prof. J. Humar)
Rahil Bhavsar M.Eng. (Project) (2019)
Gabrielle Marcotte M.A.Sc. (2017) as co-supervisor with Prof. S. Kenny
Thavakumaran Shanmugarajah M.A.Sc. (2017) Assessment of the Dynamic Properties of Soils from Triaxial Tests
Chaitanya Goyal M.A.Sc. (2017) Uncertainty Quantification in Non-linear Seismic Wave Propagation (co-supervised by Prof. A. Sarkar)
Sentheepan Thirugnanasampanther M.A.Sc. (2016) Cyclic Behaviour and Dynamic Properties of Soils under Simple Shear Loading
Thayaparan Theenathayarl M.A.Sc. (2015) Behaviour of Sensitive Leda Clay under Simple Shear Loading Condition
Fahad Alshawmar M.A.Sc. (2014) Evaluation of Compressibility, Anisotropy and At-rest Lateral Earth Pressure in a Sensitive Clay
Krystal Aubry M.Eng. (Project) (2014)
Farzad Daliri Ph.D. (2013) The influence of desiccation and stress history on monotonic and cyclic shear response of thickened gold tailings (co-supervised with Dr. Paul Simms)
Kourosh Khosravi Faraman M.Eng. (Project) (2013)
Sinthujan Navaratnavel M.A.Sc. (2013) Pore Pressure Parameters and Cyclic Resistance under Generalized Loading
Kandasamy Vishnukanthan M.A.Sc. (2013) Probabilistic Seismic Risk Assessment of Bridge Inventories with Local Site Conditions
Mohammad Shahsavari Goughari M.A.Sc. (2012) Effect of Initial Shear Stress Direction and Stress History on the Undrained Behaviour of Sands under Triaxial Loading
Hyunseung Kim M.Eng. (Project) (2011) Effect of Over-consolidation and Desiccation on the Response of a Gold Mine Tailings under Simple Shear Loading
Manmatharajan Vipulanantham M.A.Sc. (2011) Initial Stress State and Stress History Effects on Liquefaction Susceptibility of Sands
Naresh Gurpersaud M.A.Sc. (2010) The influence of matric suction on the pullout capacity of grouted soil nails
Kasgin Khaheshi Banab Ph.D. (2010) Microzonation of the City of Ottawa: site response analysis and seismic surveying of high contrast soil profiles
Paramaguru Logeswaran Ph.D. (2010) Behaviour of Soils under Generalized Loading and Drainage Conditions
Mahmud Amer Al Tarhouni M.A.Sc. (2008) Liquefaction and Post-liquefaction Behaviour of Gold Mine Tailings under Simple Shear Loading
Jie Lao M.Eng. (Project) (2008) Modeling of Liquefaction Behaviour in Heterogeneous Soils Using FLAC
Liang Zou M.A.Sc. (2007) Arsenic Removal from Industrial Wastewater by Photo-oxidation
Ganga Dhar Tripathi M.Eng. (2006) Pore Pressure Generation under Generalized Loading Conditions
Paramaguru Logeswaran M.A.Sc. (2005) Behaviour of Sands Under Simultaneous Changes in Volume and Pore Pressure
Da Ha M.A.Sc. (2004) Effect of Initial Stress State on the Undrained Cyclic Behaviour of Sands.
Ardalan Mehrabi Yazdi M.A.Sc. (2004) Post Liquefaction Deformation of Initially Strain Softening Sand
Nader Nabhani M.Eng. (2004) Cyclic simple shear response of Fraser Delta sands with initial static shear