Paul J. Van Geel
Professor in Environmental Engineering and Chair of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
|Degrees:||B.A.Sc., Ph.D. (Waterloo), P.Eng.|
|Phone:||613-520-2600 x 1884|
|Office:||Chair's Office 3434 C.J. Mackenzie Building|
(Research Office 6210 Canal Building)
Prof. Van Geel’s mailbox is located in room 3432 C.J. Mackenzie Building, Carleton University, 1125 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa, ON K1S 5B6 Canada
- ENVE3003 Water Resources Engineering
- ENVE4918 Design Group
- CIVE4918 Design Group
Previous Teaching Assignments
- ENVE3004 Contaminant and Pollutant Transport in the Environment
- ENVE4002 Environmental Geotechnical Engineering
- ENVE4006 Contaminant Hydrogeology
- ENVE5302 Case Studies in Hydrogeology
- ENVE5303 Multiphase Flow in Soils
- CIVE3208 Geotechnical Mechanics
Hydrogeology and solid waste management. Flow and transport in the saturated and unsaturated zone; applications vary from gasoline spills to biological clogging of biofilters to natural attenuation and redox-dependent biodegradation of petroleum hydrocarbons and solvents. Impacts of real world soil/NAPL wettability on migration, distribution and remediation of NAPL-contaminated sites. Waste Management issues including optimization of bioreactor landfills operating in northern climates to waste-to-energy alternatives to life cycle assessment of different waste management strategies.
Fate and transport applications vary from gasoline spills to biological clogging of biofilters to natural attenuation and redox-dependent biodegradation of petroleum hydrocarbons and solvents; understanding the impacts of real world soil/NAPL wettability on migration, distribution and remediation of NAPL-contaminated sites. Waste management applications vary from the optimization of bioreactor landfills operating in northern climates to maximize utilization of landfill airspace and the production of landfill gas to produce energy to a life cycle assessment to evaluate the impacts of organics diversion on cost, energy utilization and greenhouse gas emissions.
In addition to the research activities, Prof. Van Geel is the lead person for the Green Roof Teaching and Learning Centre. A green roof and adjacent conventional gravel ballast roof on the Canal Building have been instrumented to assess the water budget and energy budget for the two roofs with the goal to demonstrate the benefits of a green roof in Ottawa northern climate. The results are presented via an interactive website greenroof.cee.carleton.ca
Puentes Jacome, L.A., and P.J. Van Geel (2014) Comparative study of the impacts of soil wettability during entrapped LNAPL removal by surfactant flooding in two different sand media, Journal of Soil Sediments, DOI 10.1007/s11368-014-0949-6
Harris, K., C. Samson, and P.J. Van Geel (2013) Characterization of Waste Density in a Bioreactor Landfill via Microgravity and Settlement Analysis, Journal of Environmental & Engineering Geophysics, Vol. 18, No.3, p157-168
Puentes Jacome, L.A., and P.J. Van Geel (2013) An initial study on soil wettability effects during entrapped LNAPL removal by surfactant flooding in coarse-grained sand media, Journal of Soil Sediments, DOI 10.1007/s11368-013-0673-7
Bonany, J.E., P.J. Van Geel, H.B. Gunay and O.B. Isgor (2013) Simulating waste temperatures in an operating landfill in Quebec, Canada, Waste Management & Research, Vol. 33, No. 7, pages 692-699.
Bonany, J.E., P.J. Van Geel, H.B. Gunay and O.B. Isgor (2013) Heat Budget for a waste lift placed under freezing conditions at a landfill operated in a northern climate, Waste Management, Vol 33. Pages 1215-1228.
Mostafa, M., and P.J. Van Geel (2012) Validation of a Relative Permeability Model for Biological Clogging in Unsaturated Soils, Vadose Zone Journal, vol. 11, no. 1, vzj2011.0044
Lange, K., and P.J. Van Geel (2011) Physical and numerical modeling of a dual porosity fractured rock surrounding an in-pit uranium tailings management facility, Canadian Geotechnical Journal, Vol. 48, pages 365-374.
Soleimani, S., P.J. Van Geel, O.B. Isgor, and M.B. Mostafa (2009) Modeling of biological clogging in unsaturated porous media, Journal of Contaminant Hydrology, Vol. 106, Nos. 1-2, pages 39-50.
Alkaabi, S., P.J. Van Geel, and M.A. Warith (2009) Effect of saline water and sludge addition on biodegradation of MSW in bioreactor landfills, Waste Management and Research, Vol. 27, No. 1, pages 59-69.
Catley, A., C. Samson, and P.J. Van Geel (2008), Seismic Velocity Analysis to Determine Moisture Distribution in a BioReactor Landfill, Journal of Solid Waste Technology and Management, Vol. 34, No.2, pages 81-90.
Honours and Awards
- 2005-2006 Research Achievement Award
- 1998-1999 Teaching Achievement Award
- 1998-1999 Petrocanada Young Innovator Award
- Courtney Berquist
- M.A.Sc. (In Prog.)
- Robert McDonald
- M.A.Sc. (In Prog.) with co-supervisor Prof. S. Kenny
- Michelle Roberge-Butcher
- Ph.D. (In Prog.)
- Amanda Pappin
- Ph.D. (2016) Air Quality Modelling for Informing Air Pollution Policy
- Michelle Denise Roberge-Butcher
- M.A.Sc. (2016) Laboratory Investigation of Dense Non-Aqueous Phase Liquid Migration and Remediation in Mixed Wettability Soils Monitored by Pressure Transducers
- James Doyle
- Narges Karimi Tabar
- M.A.Sc. (2015) Experimental and Numerical Simulation of Stress Distribution in Landfills co-supervised with Prof. M. Rayhani
- Dina Megalla
- M.A.Sc. (2015) Heat Transfer Model for an Engineered Landfill in Sainte-Sophie, Quebec, Canada
- Kate Rothwell
- M.Eng. Project (2013) Recycling of Wind Turbine Blades
- James Bonany
- M.A.Sc. (2012) Heat Budget for an Anaerobic Bioreactor Landfill in Sainte-Sophie, Quebec, Canada
- Luz Adriana Puentes Jacome
- M.A.Sc. (2012) An Investigation on the Influence of Wettability on the Recovery of Entrapped LNAPLs Via Surfactant Flushing
- Emily Vingerhoeds
- M.A.Sc. (2011) Instrument Installation and Preliminary Data in a Full-scale Anaerobic Bioreactor Landfill, Sainte-Sophie, Quebec, Canada
- Mostafa Said
- M.A.Sc. (2010) Characterization of Soil Wettability Changes of a Diesel-impacted Field Soil
- Shelley Wilkinson
- M.Eng. (Project) (2010) An Economic and Environmental Comparison of Residential Solid Waste Management Strategies for the City of Ottawa, Canada, Using a Life-Cycle Analysis Approach
- Mustafa Elkhedr Ahmed
- Ph.D. (2009) Experimental Investigation and Conceptual Model Development for Multiphase Flow in a Water-Wet Porous Medium with NAPL-Wet Soil Lenses
- Taryn Glancy
- M.A.Sc. (2009) Characterization of Solid Waste in a Bioreactor Landfill Using Seismic Borehole Techniques
- Mohamed Aboelkhair Mostafa
- Ph.D. (2009) Experimental and Numerical Investigation of Conceptual Models for Biological Clogging of Unsaturated Soils
- Salem Khalfan Al-Kaabi
- Ph.D. (2007) Effect of Salinity on Biodegradation of MSW in Bioreactor Landfills
- Andrea Catley
- M.A.Sc. (2007) Seismic Velocity Analysis to Determine Moisture Distribution in a Bioreactor Landfill
- Sahar Soleimani
- M.A.Sc. (2007) Numerical Simulation of Biological Clogging in Biofilters
- Bradley Murray Carew
- M.Eng. (2006) Fate of Chlorinated Solvents
- Quanchang Fei
- M.Eng. (2006) Visual Analysis of Contaminant Transport in Porous Media when Violating the REV Concept
- Brian J. Henderson
- M.A.Sc. (2006) Environmental Engineering Impacts of Aggregate Quarry Dewatering on Groundwater Management in Ontario
- Hamidreza Salsali
- (Academic) Ph.D. (2006) Producing Enhanced Quality Biosolids Through Anaerobic Digerster Optimization
- Balasubramanian Shanchayan
- (Academic) Ph.D. (2006) Dynamic Analysis of a Biofilter Treating ATAD Off Gases and Dynamic Model Development
- Amgad Salama
- Ph.D. (2005) Theoretical, Experimental and Numerical Investigation of Flow and Solute Transport in Saturated Porous Media Subjected to Violation to the Continuum Hypothesis
- Xiaoyang Zhang
- M.A.Sc. (2005) Development of a Vertical TDR Probe to Measure the Moisture Content Profile with Depth in Peat Columns
- Amir Abd El Halim
- M.A.Sc. (2004) Development of Cost-Effectiveness of New and Improved Design Guidelines for 3D Reverse Horizontal Curves with Intermediate Tangents
- Mohamed Abo El-Khair B. Mostafa
- M.A.Sc. (2004) Conceptual Models for Biological Clogging of Unsaturated Soils
- Karina Lange
- M.A.Sc. (2003) Physical and Numerical Modelling of a Dual Porosity Fractured Rock Surrounding an In-Pit Uranium Tailings Management Facility
- Peyman Rouhani
- M.A.Sc. (2003) Impacts of Hydraulic and Constituent Loading on a Combined Passive System for the Treatment of Acid Mine Drainage.
- Grant Russell Carey
- M.Eng. (2001) Development and Validation of a Three-dimensional Model for Predicting Redox-dependent Intrinsic Remediation.
- Pascale Champagne-Hartley
- Ph.D. (2001) A Combined Passive System for the Treatment of Acid Mine Drainage
- Norman Meyer
- M.Eng. (2001) A Study of the Treatment of Nitrate-Contaminated Water by Electrodeionization.
- Anushka Shibchurn
- M.Eng. (2001) Water Content Measurement in Peat Using Time Domain Reflectometry.
- Anthony C.F. West
- M.Eng. (2001) Physical and Numerical Modelling of an In-Pit Tailings Management Facility
- Sandra Bayne
- M.Eng. (2000) Hydrologic Modelling of a Peat Filter Treating Septic Tank Effluent.
- Anne-Marie Thompson
- M.Eng. (2000) Evaluation Of The Impact Of The Source Term On Natural Attenuation Of Jet Fuel Contamination.
- Su-Kim Roy
- M.Eng. (1999) Development and Incorporation of a NAPL Residual into the Lenhard-Parker Pressure-Saturation Hysteretic Model.
- Paula Lynn Kennedy
- M.Eng. (1998) Investigation of Flow Through Peat Filters.
- Pascale Champagne
- M.Eng. (1996) Intracellular Reducing Power Applications to Dual Substrate Cometabolic Degradation Modelling.