What are the application deadlines?

In order to be considered for the first round of funding (financial support), all documents must be received by February 1st of each year. Students who do not require financial assistance can be admitted in any of the three terms: Fall, Winter or Spring, as long as a student is officially admitted by registration time.

Do I need GREs to apply?

No. GRE results are not required.

Do I need to submit TOEFL scores?

International students who have not received their instruction in English must pass the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Please see the language requirements here.   The original score report must be submitted. Photocopies will not be accepted.

What are my chances of receiving financial assistance?

Each year a small number of outstanding international applicants are awarded financial assistance. Your chances of receiving financial assistance are greatest if your undergraduate degree is from a Canadian university, if your undergraduate average is A- or better, and if you only require partial assistance. Of the 32 students who applied for admission to the Chemistry Department, only 3 were offered financial assistance.

If I receive financial assistance, how much will I get?

The minimum financial assistance package consists of a research assistantship (approximately CAD $8,500 in 2019). The maximum financial assistance package consists of a research assistantship, a teaching assistantship, a scholarship, and an international entrance scholarship (to pay the difference between foreign and regular tuition fees).

The maximum financial assistance package is worth approximately CAD $23,000 for a Ph.D. student. Most international students that require financial assistance receive something more than the minimum and less than the maximum.

Where can I obtain tuition fee information?

Tuition fee information is available here.

Where can I find out about accommodation?

Consult the Carleton’s housing website here or the International Students’ Centre website here.

I have been accepted to the graduate program. How do I register?

Registration information for the Fall term will be mailed to students mid-July and at any other registration time a student can obtain registration instructions at the Graduate Students website.

Does it really cost CAD $26,000 to study in Canada for a year?

In order to obtain a Canadian Student Visa, you must show that you have CAD $26,000 to support yourself while studying in Canada. Carleton University estimates the costs of living and schooling at CAD $18,745 to $23,000 per year — see the information here.

Many international students are surprised by the cost of living in Canada. A cup of coffee or tea costs a dollar or more (sometimes much more). That’s enough to feed a family for a day or more in some parts of the world.