High School Class Visits to the Chemistry Department 2019/2020
Carleton University’s Chemistry Department continues to offer its popular high school visits program where local grade 12 students (or in some cases, grade 11 students) participate in a chemistry class.
As part of the morning activities, students perform a first-year laboratory experiment and attend a lecture.
The Chemistry Department will offer its high school visits program once again this year.
The schedule is:
8:30 AM Arrive at the Steacie Building
8:45 Perform the laboratory experiment, Spectrophotometric Determination of Iron, in the Steacie Building Superlab.
11:30 Attend a lecture given by a University Professor
12:30 Lunch in the Food Court
If you would also like to take a tour of the campus after lunch, please contact Ashley Reid, Campus Tour Co-ordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Students should be prepared in advance for the lab experiment. The outline can be downloaded here.
- A completed and signed waiver form must accompany each student.
- Appropriate dress is required for laboratory safety. Students must have closed shoes (i.e. no sandals) and their legs should be covered (long pants). We will supply safety glasses. Lab coats are not required.
- It is important to arrive by 8:30 AM at the front door of the Steacie Building. The lecture hall is 446 Tory Building.
- Students should bring their own lunch or money to buy lunch in the food court, which is in the University Centre. However if you book a campus tour, lunch in the Residence Dining Hall is on us!
- Please book a visit by sending an email to Caitlyn.McKenzie@carleton.ca. A list of dates appears below. We can accommodate two classes of 24 students each at a time. All visits are on Mondays.
|Date (All are Mondays)||Class 1||Class 2|
October 14 Thanksgiving Holiday
February 17-21 Carleton University Study Break