The Canada and Latin America Research & Exchange Opportunities (CALAREO) Consortium was formed in 2018, to support faculty and student mobility with Latin America, including exchange programs, scholarships and research collaboration. The Mitacs-CALAREO Globalink Research Award Program provides funding to senior undergraduates, graduate students, and postdoctoral fellows for short (3-6 months) research trips to select countries in Latin America. Carleton has five awards available for travel to Mexico or Brazil. Interested students are invited to submit an application form to Sylvie Jasen by the deadline below. The students who are selected will need to complete a full application for Mitacs by March 23, 2020.
Countries: This opportunity supports travel and research from Canada to: Brazil and Mexico.
- Must be registered as full-time senior undergraduates or graduate students at Carleton and remain as such throughout their Globalink Research Award
- Cannot undertake a research project at an institution where they have previously completed a degree and/or been employed
- Cannot undertake a research project in a country where they hold citizenship (unless they are a permanent resident or citizen of Canada).
- Must be the legal age of majority in Canada (18 years of age or older)
- Must meet travel requirements for their intended destination, including visa and/or immigration requirements and associated documentation
- Cannot hold more than one Globalink Research Award per academic lifetime
- Cannot have previously held a Mitacs-JSPS Summer Program award
- Must be employed or registered at Carleton.
- Must be within 5 years of completing a PhD.
Home Supervising Professors
- Must hold a faculty or adjunct position at Carleton.
Host Supervising Professors
- Must hold a faculty or adjunct position at the host institution.
- $6,000 from Mitacs
- Minimum duration: 12 weeks
- Maximum duration: 6 months
- For more information on Mitacs and the Globalink Research Award
- For more information on CALAREO visit http://calareo.ca/
- Submit a preliminary application form to Sylvie Jasen at the Carleton International Office by February 14, 2020.
- The selection results will be communicated by email by February 28, 2020.
- Selected students must complete a full GRA application for Mitacs, to be submitted to Sylvie Jasen by March 23 ,2020.
- Mitacs reviews the application, a process that can a minimum of 2 months. Once approved, Mitacs sends an Award letter. Students will have one year from the date of the Award letter to travel to Canada and begin the project.
- Once approved by Mitacs, the student must complete a predeparture orientation session through Carleton International and secure travel insurance prior to travel.
For more information contact Sylvie Jasen, International Projects Coordinator, at email@example.com or 613-520-2600 ext. 2200.