The International Research Mobility Experience (IRME) project offers eligible undergraduate students enrolled at a CALAREO member institution funding to participate in a field course or study tour in a Latin American or Caribbean country under the supervision of a faculty member from their home institution.
This funding opportunity is for a faculty-led student mobility experience for which faculty members nominate students.
Carleton faculty who have established field courses or are interested in creating new ones in Latin America or the Caribbean can nominate up to 3 students for funding. Nominees must be underrepresented students who self-identify as low-income, Indigenous, or students with disabilities. Each award recipient will receive $5,000 for travel and accommodations, and other related expenses.
Field schools may be a for-credit course or a non-credit-based extra-curricular activity. Both mobility experiences are eligible for funding. The duration of the field school may be 1 to 4 weeks.
Faculty members will be responsible for fully developing the course, finding partners abroad, securing locations for classes and accommodations, and arranging travel and transportation.
- Student participants must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents
- Students must be 18 years of age or older (no upper age limit)
- Students must be in good standing
- Participants must be undergraduate students
- Students can be registered in any discipline or program
- International students are ineligible for funding
Faculty Member Responsibilities
- Developing a (or have an existing) field school in Latin America and/or the Caribbean
- Nominate students for funding and ensure they meet eligibility criteria
- Communicate deliverables to students
- Assist with arranging travel and in-country transportation
- Secure locations for classes or research activities, in addition to accommodations
- The supervision and assessment of activities
- Ensure students’ safety abroad
If interested, faculty are asked to complete the form below. For travel in Summer 2023, please submit the form by January 15, 2023.
Nominated students must also complete the Student Declaration.
International Projects Coordinator