The International Research Mobility Experience (IRME) project offers eligible undergraduate students enrolled at a CALAREO member institution funding to conduct short-term research internships in Latin America or the Caribbean under the supervision of a faculty member from their home institution.
This funding opportunity is for a faculty-led student mobility experience for which faculty members nominate students.
Carleton faculty with research projects or collaborations in the region are invited to take students on short research trips (1-4 weeks) to work on their projects. These projects can be new or already in progress. IRME can fund up to 5 students per CALAREO member, with $4,000 per student and $5,000 for underrepresented students (who self-identify as low-income, Indigenous, or students with disabilities). At least half of the funding is to support underrepresented students. Faculty must fund their own travel arrangements.
- Student participants must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents
- Students must be 18 years of age or older (no upper age limit)
- Students must be in good standing
- Participants must be undergraduate students
- Students can be registered in any discipline or program
- International students are ineligible for funding
Faculty Member Responsibilities
- Developing a (or have an existing) research project in Latin America and/or the Caribbean
- Nominate students for funding and ensure they meet eligibility criteria
- Communicate deliverables to students
- Assist with arranging travel and in-country transportation
- Secure locations for classes or research activities, in addition to accommodations
- The supervision and assessment of activities
- Ensure students’ safety abroad
If interested, faculty are asked to complete the form below. For travel in Summer 2023, please submit the form by January 15, 2023.
Nominated students must also complete the Student Declaration.
International Projects Coordinator