The Killam Research Fellowships are release time awards that provide support to scholars of exceptional ability who are engaged in research projects of broad significance and widespread interest within the disciplines of the humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, health sciences, engineering, or studies linking any of these disciplines.
The fellowships are awarded annually, on a competitive basis, to support scholars doing research in any of the following disciplines:
- social sciences
- natural sciences
- health sciences
- studies linking any of the disciplines
Applications must be submitted by individuals, and not by their institutions (however, applicants must obtain their approval).
Killam Research Fellowships are intended as release time from employment for established scholars who have demonstrated outstanding research ability and who have published the results of their research in substantial publications in their field. Typically, a fellowship recipient is a full professor in a Canadian university with significant teaching and/or administrative responsibilities. Researchers who are employed in settings such as a hospital or a scientific institute etc. may qualify if they demonstrate outstanding ability and their proposed project meets generally accepted standards of scholarly merit.
Killam Research Fellows are expected to continue contributing to the Canadian research community after they have completed their fellowship project.
To be eligible, you must be a Canadian citizen or have permanent resident status, as defined by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
In keeping with the Canada Council’s commitment to equity and inclusion, the Killam Program encourages the participation of women scholars and researchers.
- Maximum amount: $70,000/year
- Maximum duration: 2 years
- Full details regarding the Killam Research Fellowships
- Killam Research Fellowship Guidelines
- For reference purposes, you can consult the pdf version of the application form as well as instructions on how to apply.
|CURO Internal Deadline for Review||Please contact your Research Facilitator.|
|Full submission to sponsor||Noon May 11, 2017 (internal deadline)|
|Institutional authorization||May 15, 2017 (agency deadline)|
Submitting Your Application
- Your Departmental and Associate Dean’s willingness to provide time release must be received in writing by Carleton’s Research Office prior to Institutional Authorization bring provided.
- Applicants must send an email to the Killam Program (email@example.com) to request a user name and password to access the online application form to the agency
- Once submitted, your institution must then authorize your application by the deadline of May 15.
If you would like assistance with proposal development and/or a substantive review of your proposal, please contact the appropriate Research Facilitator.