Global Affairs Canada launches its 2017-2018 Student Exchange Program for Latin American and Caribbean citizens wishing to study, conduct research or professional development in Canada.
*These scholarships are an opportunity for Carleton faculty members to develop research collaborations by hosting fully funded students and/or faculty from eligible countries according to the guidelines of each program.
Please note that applications must be submitted by the Canadian institution. Please contact Gabriela Moreno at Carleton International for more information on the research option. Students wishing to take courses must contact Sarah Lanoue at the ISSO office. The deadline for Canadian institutions to submit online applications on behalf of candidates (researchers) is 11:59 p.m. EDT, April 25, 2017.
Candidates (visiting researchers):
- Must be citizens of Latin American and Caribbean countries (please check the eligibility tab of each scholarship program).
- who have obtained Canadian citizenship or who have applied for permanent residency in Canada are not eligible;
- already participating in an exchange scholarship program funded by the Government of Canada are not eligible;
- already enrolled in a degree or diploma program at a Canadian university or college are not eligible; and
- must be enrolled full-time at a post-secondary institution (for students) OR must be employed full-time as faculty or as international managers/administrators (for the Faculty Leadership Program).
- must engage in full-time studies or research as defined by the Canadian institution (English and French language studies/Linguistic training are excluded);
- must be proficient in the language of instruction at the Canadian institution (English or French) before their arrival in Canada;
- may not hold any other scholarship granted by the Government of Canada;
- conducting research must arrive in Canada for the uptake of their award between June 1, 2017 but no later than February 1, 2018. Failure to arrive during this time may result in the cancellation of the scholarship. In exceptional cases, and with prior approval from DFATD, the arrival deadline may be extended to March 1, 2018; and
- must ensure that they have appropriate health insurance for the full duration of the scholarship, as per the policies of the Canadian institution.
- For college and undergraduate applications, a written institutional collaboration and student exchange agreement or memorandum of understanding between the Canadian institution and the candidate’s home institution must be in place at the time of application. Please review our list of student exchange partners and our list of Research Memorandum of Understanding (MOU).
- For graduate applications, an inter-institutional agreement is desirable but not mandatory. If there is no existing exchange agreement, graduate applications which involve a new or established collaboration between professors from a Canadian institution and the candidate’s home institution will be accepted.
- Applications submitted directly by a candidate or their home institution will not be accepted.
- Scholarships cannot be deferred and are not renewable.
- Priority will be given to candidates who have not previously received a scholarship under the Canada-CARICOM Leadership Scholarships Program, the Canada-CARICOM Faculty Leadership Program, the Canada-Chile Leadership Exchange Scholarship or the Emerging Leaders in the Americas Program.
- Scholarships are not taxable for either the Canadian institution or the scholarship recipient.
Project and Application
- Faculty and interested candidates wishing to conduct research at Carleton are encouraged to discuss among themselves potential research interest. Students interested in coming as researchers must contact and secure a Carleton faculty member who will act as their host and supervisor.
The scholarship value varies depending on the duration and level of study. The scholarship value for students is:
- $7,200 CAN for college, undergraduate or graduate students (Master’s and PhD) for a minimum of four months or one academic term of study or research; or
- $9,700 CAN for graduate students (Master’s and PhD) for a period of five to six months of study or research.
- $2,700 CAN for faculty members for two to three weeks of course work or research as part of their professional development;
- $2,700 CAN for international directors, managers or administrators for two to three weeks of course work, or for a practicum in the area of internationalization of post-secondary institutions or student mobility as part of their professional development; or
- $9,700 CAN for faculty members for five to six months of study or research at the graduate level.
- Emerging Leaders in the Americas Program
- Canada-Chile Leadership Exchange Scholarship
- Canada-CARICOM Leadership Scholarships Program
- Canada-CARICOM Faculty Leadership Program
|Carleton International Deadline for Review||April 18, 2017|
|Submission to sponsor||April 25, 2017 (11:59 p.m. EDT)|
Submitting Your Application
The deadline for Canadian institutions to submit online applications on behalf of candidates (researchers) is 11:59 p.m. EDT, April 25, 2017.
It is the responsibility of the Canadian institution to ensure that supporting documents are received by the deadline. Supporting documents, other than those requested, will not be accepted.