Building on previous CANARIE Research Software funding calls, Call 3 focuses on research platform sharing across multiple academic research teams, projects, and disciplines. Under this competitive call, up to $3.6M in funding will be contributed to Canadian research teams to modify and maintain an existing software platform in order to meet the needs of at least five new research teams. A platform, known internationally as a science gateway, is a software package that supports a large portion of what researchers need to do in their workflow.
The purpose of the call is to:
- Allow researchers to adapt and reuse existing software to meet their research needs;
- Reduce software development duplication by promoting the sharing of platforms and reducing new development; and
- Extend platform lifetimes and support a larger base of researchers by providing a maintenance funding mechanism.
- This call is intended for research teams that will adapt their software platform for use by new research teams. Both new applicants and those who have previously participated in CANARIE Research Software funding calls are invited to apply.
- If you are a researcher who would like to adopt or use an existing platform but have not found a suitable platform, please refer to this list of platforms, previously funded under the Research Software Program, to contact platform owners who are interested in new collaborations.
- An existing platform must currently be in use by at least one research team (which may be the applicant).
- Applicants must be employed by a Canadian university, college, corporation, or other legally recognized entity. This entity will act as the Lead Contractor. The Lead Contractor must be able to enter into a Project Agreement with CANARIE.
New Applicants (not funded under CANARIE Research Software Funding Call 2a or Call 2b): The maximum funding available per project is $300K
Applicants Previously Funded Under CANARIE Research Software Funding Call 2a or Call 2b: The maximum funding available per project is $250K
- Information Webinars (please register for the session of your choice at the links below):
|Internal Review||Please contact your Research Facilitator|
|cuResearch Approval Form||November 21, 2019|
|Submission to Sponsor||November 28, 2019 – 1 PM ET|
Submitting Your Application
- Step 1) Submit an internal Carleton Approval Form
Submit an internal Approval Form through our central awards management database CUResearch:
For a user’s guide on submitting an Approval Form, click here.
- Step 2) Submit an external application to the granting agency
Submit an external application to the corresponding grant or award agency. For further details about funding categories, eligibility criteria and deadlines for this opportunity, click here.
- For further details about the application process, funding categories, eligibility criteria and deadlines, click here.
- To log-in to CUResearch and begin the application process, click here.
If you would like assistance with proposal development and/or a substantive review of your proposal, please contact the appropriate Research Facilitator.