The SickKids Foundation–CIHR-IHDCYH New Investigator Research Grants in Child and Youth Health in Child and Youth Health program seeks to strengthen Canada’s capacity and knowledge to respond to children’s health challenges and needs. The grants are jointly sponsored by SickKids Foundation and the CIHR Institute of Human Development, Child and Youth Health (IHDCYH). New investigators (also referred to by CIHR as early career investigators) may obtain up to three years of support for research in biomedical, clinical, health systems and services, population and public health sectors that has the potential for significant impact on children’s health outcomes.
The aim of the SickKids Foundation–CIHR-IHDCYH New Investigator Research Grants in Child and Youth Health program is to provide important early career development support to child health researchers and enhance their ability to compete for future research grants.
For an application to be eligible to receive CIHR funding, at the time of the application deadline the Nominated Principal Applicant must:
- be an independent researcher appointed at an eligible institution (see Institutional Eligibility Requirements for eligibility process and associated timelines);
- be an early career investigator;
- not have been awarded combined operating grant funding of $500,000 or more Canadian dollars as a Nominated Principal Applicant (or equivalent in non-CIHR competitions); and
- not have been previously awarded operating funds through the SickKids Foundation–CIHR-IHDCYH New Investigator Research Grants in Child and Youth Health in Child and Youth Health program.
- Eligible applicants may also apply to the 2018 CIHR Early Career Investigators in Maternal, Reproductive, Child and Youth Health funding opportunity (to be launched soon) but may only accept funding from one or the other, regardless of whether applications are for different projects.
For additional CIHR eligibility requirements for individuals, refer to the Individual Eligibility Requirements.
CIHR and partner(s) financial contributions for this initiative are subject to availability of funds. Should CIHR or partner(s) funding levels not be available or are decreased due to unforeseen circumstances, CIHR and partner(s) reserve the right to reduce, defer or suspend financial contributions to grants received as a result of this funding opportunity.
The total amount available for this funding opportunity is $1,800,000, enough to fund approximately six (6) grants. The maximum amount for a single grant is $100,000 per annum for up to three (3) years, for a total of $300,000 per grant.
- Of this $1,800,000:
- $300,000 is available to fund applications relevant to IHDCY’s mandate;
- $1,500,000 is available to fund applications relevant to the mission of SickKids Foundation.
- For further details about funding categories, eligibility criteria and deadlines, click here.
- For a list of last years awardees, click here.
|Internal Review||Please contact your Research Facilitator|
|cuResearch Approval Form||April 15, 2019|
|Submission to Sponsor||April 22, 2019|
Submitting Your Application
- Applications must be submitted via cuResearch, through which Departmental and Associate Dean’s approval must be provided to complete the online application process.
- More information on cuResearch can be found here.
If you would like assistance with proposal development and/or a substantive review of your proposal, please contact the appropriate Research Facilitator.