Global Affairs Canada launched its 2019-2020 Student Exchange Program for Latin American and Caribbean citizens wishing to study, conduct research or professional development in Canada.
These scholarships are an opportunity for Carleton faculty members to develop research collaborations by hosting fully funded students and/or faculty from eligible countries according to the guidelines of each program. Successful students and/or faculty conducting research will be processed as Visiting Researchers.
Candidates (visiting researchers):
- Must be citizens of Latin American and Caribbean countries (please check the eligibility tab of each scholarship program).
- Who have obtained Canadian citizenship or who have applied for permanent residency in Canada are not eligible;
- Already participating in an exchange scholarship program funded by the Government of Canada are not eligible;
- Already enrolled in a degree or diploma program at a Canadian university or college are not eligible; and
- Must be enrolled full-time at a post-secondary institution (for students) OR must be employed full-time as faculty or as international managers/administrators (for the Faculty Leadership Program).
- Must engage in full-time professional development, studies or research as defined by the Canadian institution;
- Must be proficient in the language of instruction at the Canadian institution (English or French) before their arrival in Canada, as the scholarship does not cover language training;
- In pharmacy, medicine, dentistry or other health fields are excluded from clinical training or clinically-oriented research involving direct patient-care;
- May not hold any other scholarship granted by the Government of Canada;
- May arrive in Canada for the uptake of their award between June 1, 2019 but no later than February 1, 2020. Failure to arrive during this time may result in the cancellation of the scholarship. In exceptional cases, and with prior approval from DFATD, the arrival deadline may be extended;
- Must ensure that they have appropriate health insurance for the full duration of the scholarship, as per the policies of the Canadian institution; and
- Must focus primarily on full-time professional development, studies or research during their stay in Canada.
- For college and undergraduate applications, a written institutional collaboration and student exchange agreement or memorandum of understanding between the Canadian institution and the candidate’s home institution must be in place at the time of application. Please review our list of student exchange partners and our list of Research Memorandum of Understanding (MOU).
- For graduate applications, an inter-institutional agreement is not mandatory.
- Applications must be submitted on behalf of the Canadian institution. Applications submitted directly by a candidate or their home institution will not be accepted.
- Scholarships cannot be deferred and are not renewable.
- Priority will be given to candidates who have not previously received a scholarship under the Canada-CARICOM Leadership Scholarships Program, the Canada-CARICOM Faculty Leadership Program, the Canada-Chile Leadership Exchange Scholarship or the Emerging Leaders in the Americas Program.
- Scholarships are not taxable for either the Canadian institution or the scholarship recipient.
The scholarship value varies depending on the duration and level of study. The scholarship value is:
- $7,200 CAN for college, undergraduate or graduate students (Master’s and PhD) for a minimum of four months or one academic term of research; or
- $9,700 CAN for graduate students (Master’s and PhD) for a period of five to six months of research.
- $2,700 CAN for faculty members for two to three weeks of course work or research as part of their professional development;
- $2,700 CAN for international directors, managers or administrators for two to three weeks of course work, or for a practicum in the area of internationalization of post-secondary institutions or student mobility as part of their professional development; or
- $9,700 CAN for faculty members for five to six months of study or research at the graduate level.
- Emerging Leaders in the Americas Program
- Canada-Chile Leadership Exchange Scholarship
- Canada-CARICOM Leadership Scholarships Program
- Canada-CARICOM Faculty Leadership Program
|Internal Review||Please contact Gabriela Moreno by March 14, 2019.|
|cuResearch Approval Form||Not Required|
|Submission to Sponsor||March 21, 2019|
Submitting Your Application
Faculty and interested candidates wishing to conduct research at Carleton are encouraged to discuss among themselves potential research interest. Students interested in coming as researchers must contact and secure a Carleton faculty member who will act as their host and supervisor. Please note that applications must be submitted by the Canadian institution.
Students and faculty interested in participating in this program for research must contact Gabriela Moreno. Students wishing to take courses must contact Chau Hoang at the ISSO office. Please note that to attend Carleton University as an exchange student, your university must have an exchange agreement with Carleton and you must be nominated for exchange by the international office at your home institution.