What is a research grant?
- Funding decision usually made via peer-review system
- Scope of work developed & defined by researchers
- Direction of research determined by PI
- Deliverables usually limited to scientific & financial reporting
- Detailed budget usually required consistent with Sponsor’s requirements.
- Eligibility of indirect costs & rate often per Sponsor policy
- Unrestricted rights to publish and IP rests with PI/institution
For more information, consult the Life Cycle of a Research Grant.