Coordinator: Professor Alex Wilner
- Jean Daudelin
- David Carment
- Alan Barnes
- Peter Tikuisis
Current PhD Students:
Upcoming Module Events:
Government of Canada S&I Stakeholders: Workshop on the Future of Crypto-currencies and Blockchain, Winter 2016.
Department of National Defence: Workshop on the Future of Canada’s ISIS Strategy, Winter 2016.
Multi-Domain Cyber Deterrence: Theory and Practice (project under review with SSHRC). This project has two objectives: to update deterrence for the digital era by wedding together insights from various disciplines; and to empirically explore how cyber deterrence is being conceived by state and non-state actors.
Articles and Publications:
- Policy Horizons Canada, Metascan 4: The Future of Asia – Implications for Canada, January 2016 [Dr. Wilner, co-author].
- Policy Horizons Canada, Geostrategic Cluster Findings: The Future of Asia – Implications for Canada, January 2016 [Dr. Wilner, co-author].
- Wilner, Alex. Deterring Rational Fanatics. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 2015.
- Wilner, Alex. “Contemporary Deterrence Theory and Counterterrorism: A Bridge too Far?” New York University Journal of International Law and Politics 47, no. 2 (Fall 2014): 439-462.
- Wilner, Alex, and Jerry Mark Long. “Deterring an ‘Army Whose Men Love Death’: Delegitimizing al-Qaida.” International Security 39, no. 1 (Summer 2014): 126-164.
- Wilner, Alex. “Fencing in Warfare: Threats, Punishment, and Intra-war Deterrence in Counterterrorism.” Security Studies 22, no. 4 (October 2013): 740-772.
- Wilner, Alex. “Apocalypse Soon? Deterring Nuclear Iran and its Terrorist Proxies.” Comparative Strategy 31, no. 1 (January 2012): 18-40.
- Wilner, Alex, and Claire-Jehanne Dubouloz. “Transformative Radicalization: Applying Learning Theory to Islamist Radicalization.” Studies in Conflict and Terrorism 34, no. 5 (April 2011): 418-438.
- Wilner, Alex. “Terrorism in Canada: Victims and Perpetrators.” Journal of Military and Strategic Studies 12, no. 3 (Spring 2010): 72-99.
- Wilner, Alex. “Targeted Killings in Afghanistan: Measuring Coercion and Deterrence in Counterterrorism and Counterinsurgency.” Studies in Conflict and Terrorism 33, no. 4 (March 2010): 307-329.
- Wenger, Andreas, and Alex Wilner, eds. Deterring Terrorism: Theory and Practice. Stanford: Stanford University Press, 2012.
- Wilner, Alex, and Riley Hennessey, eds. Revolution or Evolution: Emerging Security Threats in the 21st Century. Halifax: Centre for Foreign Policy Studies, 2006.
Strategic Foresight in International Security, Norman Paterson School of International Affairs, Ottawa