CU75 Carleton Connects: Community-Academic Expo
October 13-14, 2017
Richcraft Hall, Carleton University
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION IS SEPTEMBER 22, 2017
What is Carleton Connects?
CU75 Carleton Connects: Community-Academic Expo is a two-day expo in celebration of Carleton University’s 75th anniversary. This event takes place at Carleton University, October 13-14, 2017, and is free for anyone who wants to attend.
Through the Expo we hope to:
- Showcase Carleton University’s community partnerships;
- Collaboratively (with community and academics) develop a strategy for ways to bring community and Carleton University academics together over the next 25 years; and
- Facilitate discussion among faculty, students and community members about projects and issues for future partnerships.
For more information about the Expo itself, please visit the main Expo page.
What is this call for Exhibits and Posters for?
As part of the Expo, we are inviting community organizations, students, and Carleton University offices to share their community-engagement experiences during our networking and cocktail event on Friday, October 13, 5:00 pm – 9:00 pm, and/or all day Saturday, October 14, 8:00-5:30 pm. All Expo activities will take place at Richcraft Hall, Carleton University.
This event is designed to:
- Facilitate networking between community groups and Carleton students and researchers.
- Highlight important work being done to improve our community
- Lay the groundwork for discussing strategies on Saturday for future community-academic partnerships, and
- Allow attendees to learn about new projects and issues requiring community-based research.
By participating, you are gaining an important networking opportunity, in addition to promoting awareness of your project or organization.
Who should participate?
- Community organizations looking to engage in a community-campus partnership
- Share what your organization is about and how it operates. Describe what needs and issues you hope to address through a community-campus partnership.
- Community-campus partnership project participants (currently in partnership)
- Share information about your partnership, how you’ve worked together, and recommendations you might have for future partnerships.
- Students who have engaged in a community-campus partnership experience
- Design your poster to share information about how you got involved, what you did, and what you learned from your community-campus experience.
- Carleton University departments and groups who support community-campus partnerships
- Share what your group does, how you foster community-campus partnerships, past success stories, and how you can help others engage in partnership work.
Although partnership in the areas of (1) accessibility, (2) global citizenship, (3) Indigenous communities and knowledges, or (4) sustainability, are strongly encouraged, the exhibits are open to ALL community-campus partnerships.
How will the exhibit and poster display work?
Exhibits and posters can be on display Friday, October 13, 5:00-9:00 pm, and/or Saturday, October 14, 8:00 am – 5:30 pm. Exhibit booths can be staffed on Saturday for part or all of the day.
Exhibit participants will receive one table and two chairs at which you can set up a display to advertise your partnership/ projects/other information.
Poster participants will receive space and apparatus to hang your posters for presentation.
The set-up, display, and tear-down schedule is as follows:
|Friday, Oct. 13||Time||Activity|
|Before 4:00 pm||Exhibitors set up booths and posters in Richcraft Hall.|
|5:00 – 6:00 pm||Networking – Exhibitors share information with circulating attendees|
|6:00 – 7:30 pm||Presentations and Keynote Address – All welcome to join!|
|7:30 – 9:00 pm||Cocktails and Networking – Exhibitors share information with circulating attendees.|
|9:00 pm||Display tear down if not participating Saturday.|
|Saturday, Oct. 14||Time||Activity|
|Before 8:00 am||Set up of exhibits/posters in Richcraft Hall (that did not participate on Friday).|
|8:00 – 8:30 am||Arrival of Expo participants, registration, coffee, mingling.|
|8:30 am – 5:30 pm||Expo concurrent sessions, networking, displays, performance, breaks/lunch, closing session.|
|5:45 pm||Tear-down of all exhibits/posters on display.|
The Friday evening atmosphere will be relaxed and celebratory, allowing everyone to connect with each other and form the important preliminary relationships required for deep and committed partnerships in the future. Saturday will provide a great opportunity for you to connect with others who will be attending the presentations and partnership facilitation discussions. Exhibits will be on display throughout the day, but can be staffed for part of the day, e.g. 8 am – 1 pm.
Is there a cost to participate?
Community organizations, students, and others can secure a booth/poster space at the event free of charge. However, space is limited, so applications will be accepted on a first-come, first served basis until September 22, 2017. Applicants will be notified of acceptance by September 26, 2017.
Email Nicole Bedford, CU75 Carleton Expo Project Manager with your questions. She looks forward to hearing from you!