Choice enables an instructor to ask a single question and offer a selection of possible responses. Choice results may be published after students have answered, after a certain date, or not at all. Results may be published with student names or anonymously. It may be used:
- As a quick poll to stimulate thinking about a topic
- To quickly test students’ understanding
- To facilitate student decision-making. For example, allowing students to vote on a direction for the course
To create a Choice activity
- Turn editing on (button in the top right corner of your course page).
- Go to the topic/section in which you’d like to add a Choice activity.
- From the Add an activity drop down menu select Choice.
- Fill in the Name of the choice and give a Description.
- Choose whether or not you wish to Allow choice to be updated. By default, this is set at “No,” which means students cannot change their answers.
- You can also Limit the number of responses. Enabling this option allows you to limit the number of participants who can select each particular choice. When that number has been reached, no one else can select that choice. This is useful for choosing seminar/presentation times, for instance.
- Specify the Options that participants have to choose from. They will become radio buttons when the choice is saved. You can leave other options blank or click “Add 3 field(s) to form” to add more options.
If Limits is disabled (by limiting the number of responses-see #6 above), then any number of participants can select any of the options.
- Restrict answering. If you check this box (under Availability) you can set an “open and close” date for your choice. If you leave it, students can respond at any time.
- Results: under this settings, you can determine whether (and when) the students will be able to view the results of the choice activity.
- Privacy of results : If “Publish” was chosen above, then this drop down in unlocked. You can decide whether to show names of students or merely the number who responded but without names.
Once you have created your Choice activity
- Click the link to the Choice activity on the main course page to open it. The Choice contents page will open showing the question text you provided and a list of the specified allowed choices.
- If students have answered the poll, on the top right you will see a link “View # responses,” where # is the number of submitted responses. Click the View # responses link (if present) to view the responses. The Responses screen will open, showing the choices of answers, the number of students who picked each answer, and under each answer a list of names of students who picked that answer.
- To delete a student’s response, select the checkbox for a student and from the Choose an action.. menu, select Delete. To export and download submitted responses, click the Download in … format button. You can download the responses in Excel, plain text, or ODS (OpenDocument Spreadsheet) formats.