Instructors can create, import or export questions and save them in a Question Bank. Different versions of tests may be prepared later by shuffling the saved questions. Categories can also be created to group and sort questions.
- Creating new Questions
- Creating category
- Moving questions to category
- Importing Questions
- Aiken format
- Exporting Questions
- Go to the Administration section on the left side of your cuLearn course page.
- From this menu, click on Question Bank.
- Click on the Create a new question… button.
- In the pop up window, select the type of question you would like to add (Multiple choice, Matching, etc.).
- Click Add.
- Fill in a name for the question (Q1 for example) and the question text.
- Assign a mark value for the question and fill in the optional feedback you want to show before and/or after the student takes the quiz.
Note: If you are creating a multiple choice question make sure your correct choice is given a grade of 100% in the drop down ‘Grade’ menu.
- Click Save Changes.
You might find it more useful to group questions under different categories for sorting and identifying them later. To create a category under Question Bank:
- Click Categories.
- Go to the Add category tab (close to the bottom of the page).
- Fill in the name of the desired category and any optional information.
- You can also choose this category to be a stand alone category or a sub category of a parent category.
- Click Add Category.
Moving Questions to a Category
- Click Questions.
- Check the box next to the question(s) you want to move.
- In the drop down menu next to Move to, select the category to which the question should be moved, then click Move to.
- A number will appear next to the chosen category. This number indicates the number of questions in a particular category.
Make sure that every question inside the file is written in this way:
(NOTE: this is case sensitive)
- The question must be on one line.
- Each answer must start with a single capitalized letter (A, B, C, D, etc.) followed by a period “.” or bracket “)”then a space right before the first word of the answer. (A. The)
- The answer line must immediately follow, starting with “ANSWER: ” and then giving the appropriate letter, for example: ANSWER: A. Notice that there is a space between the colon and the letter A in the answer.
- A single space between every question is enough to separate them.
- Save the file with the extension .txt
- NOTE: The answer letters (A,B,C etc.) and the word “ANSWER” must be capitalised as shown, otherwise the import will fail.
To Import your Aiken formatted questions:
- Under Question Bank click Import.
- Select the File Format that you want to import to be Aiken format.
- Click Choose a file.
- Select the name and location of the file to upload then click Upload this file.
- Click Import.
- Under Question Bank click Export.
- Choose the File Format that you want to export to.
- Choose the question Category you want to export.
- Click on Export questions to file.