- How can I assign different TAs to grade different student assignments on cuLearn?
See the Marking Allocation instructions on the Assignments page.
- How do I submit my finals marks to E-Grades?
You can manually enter final letter grades in the E-Grades system, which can be accessed through Carleton Central. If, however, you would like to enter your grades all at once, they must first be exported from cuLearn, and then copied and pasted into Carleton’s e-grades system. The Registrar’s Office provides support for E-grades, though we have provided some instructions and screenshots below. For full instructions and help with E-grades, please visit the help file in the E-grades page or contact Systems and Training Support: Faculty_Systems_Support@carleton.ca; tel: (613) 796-3450.
- How do I view grades as a student would?
You can use the User report to view student grades as the students would see them. This can be useful for double checking exactly what grade information is being released to students.
- While in the gradebook, click on User Report.
- Select a student (or all users) from the drop down menu on the right side of the screen. You should now see the grades as students would see them.
As instructor, you can choose precisely what students can see in their grade report by changing the options under Settings at the top. You can choose to display the class average, for instance. After setting the desired options click Save Changes.
- Can my students see other students’ grades?
Students are only able to see their own grades in cuLearn. They cannot see the grades of other students.
- How do I undo a grade override?
- Go to View > Single View in your gradebook.
- Use the Select grade item…and Select User…drop-down menus to locate the grade item/student you want to remove the override from.
- Uncheck the Override checkbox to the right of the student’s name.
- Click Save.
- How do I set the grades to display as both percentages and letter grades?
To display both the percentage and letter grades:
- Go to you course Gradebook,
- Click on the Setup tab.
- Click the Edit drop-down menu next to a grade item and select Edit Settings.
- Click Show more.
- In the drop-down menu beside Grade Display Type, select your preferred display option
- NOTE: The Default display setting is “Real”. To display both the percentage and letter grade, select either “Percentage (Letter)” or “Letter (Percentage)”.
- Click Save Changes.
- Why can’t students see their grades?
Reasons students may be unable to view their grades:
- The gradebook is hidden from students
- The graded cuLearn activity is hidden from students
- The grade item/grade category is hidden in the gradebook
If students are unable to access the gradebook in their navigation menu, it may be hidden from students. You can make your gradebook visible to students by enabling Show gradebook to students in your course settings.
To enable the “Show gradebook to students” setting:
- Click on the gear icon in the top-right corner of your main course page.
- Select edit settings from the drop-down menu.
- Scroll down to the appearance tab.
- The third setting from the top is Show gradebook to students.
- In the drop-down menu, select Yes to make your gradebook visible to students.
If students are able to access the gradebook, but cannot see the particular cuLearn activity, you may have hidden the activity from students. Activities that are hidden from students on your main course page will also be hidden in the gradebook.
Activities that are hidden appear greyed out on your course page with the message “hidden from students” in blue (see example below)
To make an activity visible:
- Locate the hidden activity on your course page.
- Click the edit drop-down menu and select Show.
If students are able to access the gradebook, but cannot see the grades for a particular cuLearn activity, you may have hidden the grade item or grade category from students in the Gradebook Setup tab. See the instructions below for hiding/unhiding grade items and categories from the Gradebook Setup page
In the Gradebook setup tab, you can choose to Hide or Show all or individual grade items and categories.
To Hide a grade item or category from students:
- In the Actions column, click on the Edit drop down menu beside the item you wish to hide.
- Select “Hide” to hide the Grade item from the students
The grade item/category should appear greyed out when it is hidden (see screenshot below)
To Show (release) the grade item or category to students:
- Under the Actions column, click on the Edit drop down menu beside the item you wish to hide.
- Select “Show” to unhide the Grade item from the students.
NOTE: If you have made your grade item/category visible, but your students still cannot see their grades, it is possible you have hidden your entire gradebook in the Course settings.