The FYSM modules consist of material and activities that can be imported into your course and used in cuLearn. The modules were created by Carleton instructors from various fields based on the recommendations of experienced FYSM instructors.
To import the pre-built course modules into your own cuLearn course, follow the steps carefully. There are two main processes to perform:
- Backup your current course (if you want to keep a copy of your existing course and its content)
- Import one or more of the FYSM Modules Backup files into your course
- Login to your cuLearn course.
- Click on the blue gear wheel in the top right-hand corner of your course.
- Click on Backup.
- Check the boxes for all of the structural elements you want backed up. See below for a visual of the common selections.
- Click Next.
- Click the check boxes beside the content items you want to back up.
- Click Next.
- Type a meaningful Filename and review the backup settings.
- Click Perform backup.
- Click Backup. The Course backup is now complete, and the course backup file will appear in your User private backup area. See the screen image below for a visual of the course backup file in the User private backup area. See the image below for a visual of the location of the backup file.
The FYSM Module files (extension .mbz) can be found in cuLearn in the First Year Seminars Shared Modules course.
- Login to cuLearn using your MC1 login credentials.
- Select the First Year Seminars Shared Modules course from Ongoing Courses in the menu.
- Open the Module you would like to download. Scroll down and click the last link in the module (i.e. Time Management Module Import File) to download the module as a file (extension .mbz) to your computer. Select the folder in which you want to save it and click Save.
- Exit the FYSM course and return to the course where you want to add the module.
- Click on the Blue gear wheel in the top right corner of your course.
- Click Restore.
- Either Drag and drop the appropriate file or click Choose a file to locate the file on your computer.
- Find the template file (extension .mbz) and click Open. Then click Upload.
- Click Restore.
- Scroll down and click Continue.
- In the Restore into this course section, click to select Merge the backup course into this course option and then click Continue.
- Review the restore settings selected and de-select “Include Blocks” and “Include calendar events”. Then click Next.
- Leave the default of No besides Overwrite course configuration and verify that the desired content is selected with a checkmark. If there is content selected that you do not want, click the checkmark to de-select the content.
- Click Next when you are ready to restore the module your course.
- Click Perform restore.
- Click Continue. The module will now be imported. If you chose to merge your course content with the template, you will see your content along with the new template content.
- Check the content in your course and drag it to the appropriate topic, if needed.
If you have any questions about updating your content or managing your course, please contact email@example.com for assistance. We’re happy to support your teaching needs!
Was this page helpful?
no one has found this useful yet.