Are CUOL courses normal credit courses?

Yes! You can see the credit weight for the course in the course description and when you register in Carleton Central. However, we do have some open access courses that have no credit weight. They are offered through the eCarleton portal.

What is the cost?

CUOL courses cost the same in tuition as any credit course on campus. However, depending on what services you require, you may need to pay for Video On Demand access and/or distance exam arrangements.

How do I sign up for a course?

You need to become a student at Carleton to take a CUOL course, whether as a Special Student or a student in a degree program. See our Registration page for more.

I would like to do a full degree online. Can I do that at Carleton?

While Carleton offers a number of credit courses online, we don’t have a fully online undergraduate program. If you wish to complete a full undergraduate program online, you may want to look into the eCampus Ontario portal for online courses and programs at Ontario Institutions or the Canadian Virtual University (CVU). CVU is an association of Canada’s leading universities specializing in online and distance education.

Carleton offers graduate programs and certificates, such as the Master of Philanthropy and Nonprofit Leadership and Indigenous Policy and Administration, which can be taken in a flexible format involving summer institutes at Carleton and interactive online learning. See our program page for more details.

I won’t be in Canada. Can I still take the course?

As long as the course has no on-campus requirement, you can take the course outside the country or at a distance within Canada. You will need to have reliable Internet access and you will need to arrange to write any proctored tests with a local approved proctor. For more details see the “Distance Students” section on our How CUOL Works page.

Courses with on-campus requirements, such as a lab, are indicated in the course list, along with the annotation “not suitable for distance.”

Can I take a CUOL course when I am a student from another university?

Yes! You can do so using a letter of permission from your home university. See the Registrar’s page for Visiting Students for more information and for details on the exchange system between the University of Ottawa and Carleton.