Have you ever wanted to conduct research in an area of your interest while getting paid for it? Are you looking for a way to gain hands-on experience to add value to your resume or degree? If yes, then I-CUREUS may be exactly what you’re looking for.
Internship-Carleton University Research Experience for Undergraduate Students (I-CUREUS) offers students the opportunity to receive up to $2250 for faculty-supervised research. Half is funded by the Discovery Centre and half by the faculty supervisor (+ 14% employer benefits paid by the Discovery Centre and faculty supervisor).
Applications are done online. Please ensure student and faculty members read the 2018-2019 I-CUREUS Information before submitting the application.
Application deadline: Closed
Applications for the 2018-19 academic year are now being processed. Please ensure you read and understand the information below prior to submitting an application. Please don’t hesitate to direct further questions to the Discovery Centre.
|Purpose and Procedures||Award Payment|
|Presenting your Research||Testimonials|
If you are a faculty member interested in supervising an I-CUREUS participant and you belong to an academic unit of the university, please visit I-CUREUS for Faculty.
What do I gain from I-CUREUS?
- Valuable exposure to research techniques
- Connections with professor(s) who can act as academic mentors
- Experience writing a research paper under faculty supervision
How can I get involved in I-CUREUS?
In order to get involved in I-CUREUS it’s recommend that you read the I-CUREUS Information outlined below. For ease of use, follow the links in the table above. After reading the information you will need to fill out the application.
The Discovery Centre has compiled list of your Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) and their answers
Undergraduate students must be enrolled in a Carleton program either part-time or full time. They must also have good academic standing upon application, and during the tenure of the internship.
The student’s role is to provide general assistance to the supervisor working on a specific project. Standards of work should be set, outlining the responsibilities of the professor and the student. It will be expected that students share their I-CUREUS experience with other undergraduates through social media, Carleton websites and/or the Discovery Centre. Professors and their selected students apply jointly for the I-CUREUS program, using the official form. These applications are to be submitted online. The students’ work term will last a minimum of 8 weeks starting over the Fall or Winter semester. Students work will not exceed 150 hours at $15 per hour. Work must finish by the end of the Winter term.
Administration of the award payment will be done by the academic department of the supervising professor. The schedule of payment may vary depending on the department and work schedule.
Proposals will be assessed on: appropriateness of the proposed research work, the level of supervision and mentorship, potential output, such as research papers, and anticipated learning outcomes from the experience. I-CUREUS Awards will be made in a timely manner and consequently on a ‘first-come, first-served’ basis. Please note, only one I-CUREUS per academic year will be awarded to students who apply.
- A final payment transfer of $150 will be withheld until the Discovery Centre receives a testimonial of the research activity completed (text, pictures or video report.)
- I-CUREUS participants are required to present their research at an undergraduate research fair in the Winter term of the current academic year (at the end of March).
- In order for the Discovery Centre to share your I-CUREUS experience with others and to advertise the program more widely, you will be asked to complete a Consent to Publish form. The details that we make public can be discussed.
*Please note there are a few changes from previous years associated with the application:
- Only digital applications will be accepted. No email or printed applications are permitted unless discussed with Discovery Centre Administrator.
- Due to the increasing popularity of the I-CUREUS program, there is a two student per faculty member maximum.
Please use this form to submit your application. We will contact you in late summer for Fall/Winter applications.
The internship is not completed until it has been presented. The 2015-16 year marked the first I-CUREUS research fair, which brought research interns and faculty members, as well as members of the wider Carleton community, together to learn of the various types of research taking place across campus.
Testimonials of past participants are available for review.
For further questions you may contact the Discovery Centre (email@example.com)