I-CUREUS Information Sheet
Funds are awarded from the Discovery Centre and Office of the Provost and Vice-President (Academic) to students engaging in undergraduate research with a supporting faculty member. The I-CUREUS (Internship – Carleton University Research Experience Undergraduate Scholarship) Program began in 2012 and has grown each year since then.
|Terms and Eligibility||Application Process|
|General Information||Payment and Funding|
Due to the increasing popularity of the I-CUREUS program, there is a two student per faculty member maximum
The student must:
- Be enrolled (part time or full time) in an undergraduate program in an Academic Unit of the university during the tenure of the internship.
- Have a satisfactory (Good Standing) Academic Record (e.g. not have an Academic Warning on their record). Students in 2nd to 4th year.
- Use their Carleton email account – all communications will be sent through this address.
The Supervisor must:
- Belong to an Academic Unit of the university, AND
- Hold a research grant at the time of the internship. This may be an external or Carleton grant
The Student Intern will:
- Provide general research assistance to the supervisor working on a specific project
- Be asked to sign a Consent to Publish form to share their experiences and to make contact with other undergraduate research interns
- sharing will be done through social media, Carleton and the Discovery Centre websites
- If the student wishes to remain unnamed this can be arranged
- Provide a testimonial of the research activity completed (text, pictures or video report)
- Resulting story will be used for the current year’s I-CUREUS webpage/Carleton publications
- Prepare for and participate in an undergraduate research fair in the spring to share their work, provide feedback for I-CUREUS, and promote the program to others
- Digital poster must follow guidelines provided by the Discovery Centre
The Supervising Faculty Member will:
- Mentor the intern and supervise the intern’s work
- Ensure that the intern is paid in a timely manner for work performed
- At the end of the project, provide feedback about the program to staff and students
- Follow Carleton University’s Environmental Health and Safety policies
- The internship runs throughout the academic year, from September until April. A student can sing up for one term or for both and complete up to 150 hours.
- The work term shall be no less than 8 weeks during fall or winter semester
- The intern is expected to work 10-15 hours/week on average, not to exceed 150 hours during interning term
- Students will be paid $15/hour
- Research projects will be assessed on:
- Appropriateness of the proposed research
- Level of supervision and mentorship
- Potential output, such as research papers, and the anticipated learning outcomes for the intern fro the experience of working in the research environment
- Identifying potential supervisors and discuss opportunities related to their research.
- With your chosen supervisor, complete and submit the I-CUREUS application form.
Supervising Faculty Member
- Identify potential student applicants for the I-CUREUS program and discuss opportunities related to your own research with interested students.
- With the student, complete and submit the I-CUREUS application.
The student applicant and supervising faculty member will be notified with results as soon as possible after application submission. Please allow a minimum of 3 weeks for processing.
- The student intern is paid $15/hour. They will work an average of 10-15 hours/week for a minimum of 8 weeks
- The total award to the student will not exceed $2250
Supervising Faculty Member
- The supervisor provides at least half of the amount paid to the student intern, which is matched by the Office of the Provost and Vice-President (Academic) up to a maximum of $1125
- The student and supervisor (or departmental administrator) will complete the Payroll Profile Form and submit it to HR to formally set up the contract
- Students must be paid within the timeline specified on the application or a new form will be required by HR
- Hours for payment must be signed off by the supervisor and submitted directly to HR
- Forms can be found here