Carleton University is an institutional member of the Council of Undergraduate Research (CUR.org). CUR is a group of educational institutions originally across the United States but now including Canada with a focus on developing undergraduate research opportunities for both undergraduate students and faculty.
One of the activities of CUR is an annual student conference to celebrate the research completed by undergraduate students in the given academic year. NCUR (National Conference on Undergraduate Research) is usually held in the first week of April just after classes end, with a different location each year. NCUR began in 1987 as an opportunity for undergraduate scholars from a variety of disciplines to present their research. The conference is held annually and it is an excellent opportunity for meeting presenters from a wide array of institutions for higher learning while also honing the skill of research presentations.
The Office of the Provost, Carleton sponsors a selected number of students whose work is accepted to NCUR. Conference registration, travel costs and residence are all paid.
Carleton has sent undergraduate students to NCUR since 2012. NCUR 2016 saw the largest number of Carleton attendees to date. Check out what the Provost has to say about NCUR.
To learn about the experience of former NCUR participants, read their blog posts of participants who have shared their thoughts with the Discovery Centre.
- 2014 participants Jodie Lawlor, Kelsey MacKay, Alan Hay, and Taylor Macmillan-Jackson’s testimonials
- 2013 participant Campbell Hennessy’s blog presenting his work in La Crosse, Wisconsin in 2013
- 2012 participant Heather McAlister’s blog about presenting her research in South Africa with her research partner in Ogden, Utah in 2012.
- Conference itself is in the first week of April after the end of classes -but possibly conflicting with exams.
For sponsorship by the Discovery Centre, students are asked to first ask approval from the Provost Office by submitting their request online, using this form.
- If you submit without prior approval, we cannot guarantee that you will be sponsored.
NCUR 2017 (www.cur.org/ncur_2017/)
- Abstract Deadline : December 2, 2016
- Notification of Decision: January 23, 2017
- Deadline for Early Conference Registration: February 19, 2017
- Date of Conference: April 6-8, 2017
- Location of Conference : University of Memphis, Tennessee.