How 3D printing at the Discovery Centre works:
|Our 3-D Printers||3-D Printing Instructions|
|3-D Printing Payment||Further Inquiries|
FlashForge Inventor (Standard Quality)
- Uses PLA for model (and support) material
- Great for smaller, solid designs
Uprint SE Plus (Enhanced Quality)
- Uses production-grade ABS for model material
- Soluble support material means the designs that prints aren’t left with rough surfaces or run the risk of breaking
- Great for more intricate designs, prints designed to have movement, and prototypes
1. Create your own design or choose a pre-made design from thingiverse.
2. Visit the Discovery Centre desk for staff to approve your designs (bring them on an SD card or flash drive) or email your designs to email@example.com
- Your design can be in .STL, .Thing, or .CAD (if high resolution) format
If your order is emailed to the Discovery Centre, please include the following information:
- your name
- campus card #
- contact information: both your Carleton email address (others will not be accepted) and a phone #
- item name
- dimensions (optional, if required for correct scaling)
- color preference
3. Orders will not be released without proof of payment. Payments can be made at the Welcome Desk (main floor of the library) once your 3D Print Order Form is completed and given to you by Discovery Centre Staff.
4. The time to process and begin the print will depend on the demand for the printer. The 3D Printer runs Monday to Friday. (Please note: In the middle of terms we operate at a week to 10-day turn around time for completion of prints.) Please visit the Discovery Centre for a more precise timeline estimate.
Please note that drop-offs will only be accepted between the hours of 10:00am – 4:00pm Mon-Fri.
|Printing Quality||Price Rate||Service Charge (for prints over 7 hours)|
|Standard Quality (Flashforge)||10 cents/gram||$3.00|
|Enhanced Quality (Uprint SE Plus)||Model Material: $3.50/in3||Support Material: $6.50/in3||$3.00|
If you have questions about scaling, definition, fill or other print-related issues, an appointment for assistance can be made by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that guns/weapons or similar parts will not be printed without proof that they are for academic purposes.