The Provost Scholar Award honours exceptional undergraduate students who exemplify student engagement. There are up to two $1,000 awards given per Faculty each year.
The awards are offered by the Office of the Provost and Vice-President (Academic) and administered by the Discovery Centre for Undergraduate Research and Student Engagement.
Do you know a student who:
- Conducted undergraduate research that has been applied to a community concern, or has been presented internationally?
- Engaged a community group through an immersive learning project, or has been recognized externally?
- Actively engaged through their academic studies with an international issue, or brought the international community to our campus through their research work?
- Completed an immersive learning research project, ideally involving interdisciplinary teams, which created a high impact solution to a real-world problem while fostering professional relationships with community members?
How to Qualify
Students are nominated by a faculty member or instructor with the support of their Dean. A Provost Scholar exemplifies student engagement when their academic experience encompasses activities in two or more of the four pillars of the Discovery Centre programs:
- Community engagement
- International learning experience
- Immersive learning
- Undergraduate research
Although there can be a broad interpretation of these four categories due to the variety of activities and engagement happening across the university, the nomination must be linked to students’ studies at Carleton. Nominated students must be registered in an undergraduate program during the current academic year. Although the focus is on individuals, nominations will also be considered for groups of undergraduate students. In this case, award funds will be shared equally among group members.
Peter J. Ricketts Outstanding Provost Scholar Award
We are pleased to announce the establishment of the Peter J. Ricketts Outstanding Provost Scholar Award. This award will provide one outstanding Provost Scholar Award recipient with an additional $1,400. The amount may be divided between two recipients. The recipient of this award will be selected by the Provost from the Provost Scholar Award recipients.
Calls for nominations are sent by the Office of the Provost and Vice-President (Academic) in early January. Faculty and instructors can nominate students by completing the Provost Scholar Award Nomination Form by Feb. 11, 2019. Faculty Deans will forward a shortlist of nominees to the Provost Scholar Award Selection Committee by Feb. 25, 2019.
Honouring Provost Scholars
An award presentation event will be hosted in the Spring. Family members and nominators will be invited to attend. Congratulations to all past recipients of this award: