Have you ever wanted to conduct research in an area of your interest while getting paid for it? Are you looking for a way to gain hands-on experience to add value to your resume or degree? If yes, then I-CUREUS may be exactly what you’re looking for.
Internship-Carleton University Research Experience for Undergraduate Students (I-CUREUS) offers students to receive up to $2250 for faculty-supervised research. Half is funded by the Discovery Centre and half by the faculty supervisor.
Applications are still open for the current year – for work during the fall term, the winter term or for both terms. Applications are taken online. Please ensure student and faculty members read the 2017-2018 I-CUREUS Information before submitting the application.
Application deadline: Still open
At this time, a small amount of funding remains. Please submit your application if you wish to be considered.
I-CUREUS at a Glance
- What do I gain from I-CUREUS?
- How can I get involved in I-CUREUS?
- I-CUREUS Information
- I-CUREUS Application
By performing research in your undergraduate, you gain:
- valuable exposure to research techniques for future work
- connections with professor(s) who can act as an academic mentor
- The possibility of experience writing a research paper under faculty supervision
In order to get involved in I-CUREUS it is recommended that you read the I-CUREUS Information below. After reading the information you will need to fill out the application.
Applications for the 2017-18 academic year are now being processed. Please ensure you read and understand the information below prior to submitting an application. Please don’t hesitate to direct further questions to the contacts listed below.
|Purpose and Procedures||Award Payment|
|Presenting your Research|
If you are a faculty member interested in supervising an I-CUREUS participant and you belong to an academic unit of the university, please visit our For Faculty page.
The Discovery Centre has compiled list of your Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) and their answers:
Undergraduate students must be enrolled (part-time or full-time) in a Carleton program and must have good standing after the last academic performance evaluation upon application and during the tenure of the internship.
The student’s role is to provide general assistance to the supervisor working on a specific project. Standards of work should be set, outlining the responsibilities of the professor and the student. It will be expected that students share their I-CUREUS experience with other undergraduates through social media, Carleton websites and/or the Discovery Centre. Professors and their selected students apply jointly for the I-CUREUS program, using the official form. These applications are to be submitted online. The students’ work term will last a minimum of 8 weeks starting over the Fall or Winter semester. Students work will not exceed 150 hours at $15 per hour. Work must finish by the end of the Winter term.
Administration of the award payment will be done by the academic department of the supervising professor. The schedule of payment may vary depending on the department and work schedule.
Proposals will be assessed on: appropriateness of the proposed research work, the level of supervision and mentorship, potential output, such as research papers, and anticipated learning outcomes from the experience. I-CUREUS Awards will be made in a timely manner and consequently on a ‘first-come, first-served’ basis. Please note, only one I-CUREUS per academic year will be awarded to students who apply.
- A final payment transfer of $150 will be withheld until the Discovery Centre receives a testimonial of the research activity completed (text, pictures or video report.)
- I-CUREUS participants are required to present their research at an undergraduate research fair in the Winter term of the current academic year (at the end of March).
- In order that the Discovery Centre share your I-CUREUS experience with others and to advertise the program more widely you will be asked to complete a Consent to Publish form. The details that we make public can be discussed.
*Please note there are a few changes from previous years associated with the application:
- Only digital applications will be accepted. No email or printed applications are permitted unless discussed with Discovery Centre Administrator.
- Due to the increasing popularity of the I-CUREUS program, there is a two student per faculty member maximum.
The application form has been reposted to accept applications until the remaining funds have been spent. Please submit your application. We will contact you in January 2017.
Research isn’t completed until it has been presented. The 2015-16 year marked the first I-CUREUS research fair, which brought research interns and faculty members as well as members of the wider Carleton community together to learn of the various types of research taking place across campus.
Some Carleton undergraduate students also apply through the office of the Provost and Vice President (Academic) to participate in the US National Conference on Undergraduate Research (NCUR). NCUR began in 1987 as an opportunity for undergraduate scholars to present their research. Since 2012 Carleton has sent a small delegation to the conference. testimonials of the past participants are available for review.
For further questions you may contact the Discovery Centre (firstname.lastname@example.org)