Past Event! Note: this event has already taken place.
Getting Started with Kaltura’s Eco-System
January 18, 2021 — January 19, 2021
Time: 10:00 AM — 12:00 PM
Participants are expected to attend both sessions:
- Monday, January 18th from 10am-12pm
- Tuesday, January 19th from 10am-12pm
An optional Q&A will be held for 30 minutes after each session.
Facilitators: Lindsay Richardson (EDC), Frank Heney (EDC)
This two-part series is designed to support instructors in creating and sharing their educational videos using Carleton’s supported software: Kaltura. The use of online instructional videos is becoming increasingly popular with the shift to online learning. Kaltura’s eco-system provides users (including instructors and students) with a way to record and share lecture material.
Part 1: Kaltura Media Space – An Introduction to Using Carleton’s Media Hosting Site. Kaltura MediaSpace (KMS) is a media hosting site that allows users to upload and play media. It is also the link between your lecture recordings and cuLearn! This first session will focus on a tour of the KMS Media Gallery and the basics of how to use different features within the “space”. We will walk participants through each step from uploading media to embedding media in cuLearn all while getting to know MediaSpace a little better. Topics will include:
- How to host videos on Carleton’s media-hosting site Kaltura Media Space
- Tips for optimizing your media gallery
- How you and your students can integrate videos into your cuLearn course
Part 2: Kaltura Personal Capture – An Introduction to Video Recording Using Carleton’s Supported Software. Kaltura’s Personal Capture has the ability to capture up to two visual inputs (e.g., webcam and screen) along with audio at the same time! Then, viewers have the ability to toggle between different views. This screen recording solution has helped facilitate the incredible need for lecture and screen capture for both Mac and PC users. It’s free to the university community to install on your computer. This workshop will explore the different features that the desktop software (Personal Capture) has to offer, including:
- The system requirements and how to install the software
- The different settings and how to make a recording on your computer
- How to save and upload videos to Carleton’s Kaltura Media Space
- Best practices and tips for getting the best recording NOTE: These sessions will be recorded and featured on our Kaltura Workshops cuLearn page and our TLS MediaSpace Channel. By signing up, you are agreeing to have the recording shared. If you have reservations about the recording, please contact the facilitators before attending.
Space is limited. Please register by filling out the form below.