1. Religious Observation
  2. Pregnancy and/or Parental Leave
  3. Students with Disabilities
  4. Contacts

Carleton provides academic accommodation to students for reasons of disability, religious observance, pregnancy and/or parental leave.

This simply means providing alternatives to students who cannot perform the essential requirements of their academic programs due to the reasons mentioned above. At no time does academic accommodation undermine or compromise the learning objectives that are established by the academic authorities of the university.

This page provides only a brief overview of the accommodations policy and process. Please contact Equity Services for a full explanation.

Religious Observation

A request should be made in the first two weeks of the academic term, or as soon as possible where the scheduling of an event or activity conflicting with a religious obligation does not appear in the course outline or calendar.

A list of multi-faith holy days is accessible through the Equity Services website. Instructors can also contact Equity Services to confirm the eligibility of a religious event or practice.

Pregnancy and/or Parental Leave

Requests for parental leave must be made in writing to the Registrar’s Office, or in the case of graduate students, to the Office of the Dean of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs.

A student who is pregnant may request a temporary modification to her program (e.g., laboratory or field work). The student should meet with the instructor(s). The department chair/director and the faculty dean can assist in the discussion. An Equity Services advisor can also be consulted if a student has questions about pregnancy and/or parental leave.

Students with Disabilities

Carleton is strongly committed to providing access and accommodation for all individuals with identified and duly assessed disabilities. The university has a Senate-approved policy on academic accommodation that forms part of its human rights policy. The policy promotes efforts to accommodate students with disabilities so that they will have the opportunity to meet learning outcomes and be fairly evaluated in their performance. In no case, however, does academic accommodation negotiate away, lower, or remove the academic standards and learning outcomes of any course or program, rule, regulation, or policy at the university.

Some students with disabilities may require special accommodations for tests and exams. In these cases, students must present you with a signed accommodation form from the Paul Menton Centre detailing their accommodation needs well in advance of the date of an exam. A copy of the Paul Menton Centre accommodations policy can be found here. 


Equity Services
503 Robertson Hall

Paul Menton Centre
501 University Centre

Was this page helpful?

1 Person found this useful