Creative Writing Summer Camp: Instructor
Dates: Full-time, July 31, 2017 – September 1, 2017 + paid training
Rate of Pay: $13.00 /hr
Under the supervision of the camp director, creative writing camp instructors facilitate and administer camp activities, including writing exercises and games, for children aged 8-15 over a period of five weeks. Instructors must also attend training sessions and preparation meetings.
- Applicants should have some experience with various genres of creative writing, including poetry, non-fiction, and fiction. Consideration will also be given to applicants with experience in comics/graphic novels and/or oral storytelling.
- Previous experience working in summer camps and/or teaching and supervising youth are considered assets.
- Applicants must be prepared to supply a Police Record check.
- Applicants must not have any prior commitments that would prevent them from participating in all required training and camp activities.
*Preference for this position will be given to students attending Carleton University and writers who have published one or more creative works (in the case of storytellers, preference will be given to storytellers who have been paid to perform).
Terms of Reference
- Instructors will share the duties of delivering lessons during each week of camp. Lesson plans and materials will be provided, though instructors are encouraged to experiment with the lesson plans in consultation with the camp director.
- Instructors will attend every day of camp and act as counsellors. Instructors are expected to help campers during the exercises as required, as well as provide supervisory support during other camp activities.
- Instructors may be required to participate in other camp activities during the week. These activities will not require preparation.
- Instructors must attend wrap-up celebrations at the end of the summer.
Submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 30, 2017