Accommodation Policy for Employees with Disabilities

The Accommodation Policy for Employees with Disabilities affirms Carleton University’s commitment to providing employment opportunities to those with disabilities and to accommodate the needs of employees with disabilities.

How Does Accommodation Work?

Step One: Identify the Need for Accommodation

Employees with disabilities are responsible for identifying their needs to their manager and, with the help of their bargaining agent, working with the manager to develop and implement an accommodation plan.

Employment accommodation is assessed on an individual basis since limitations that are traditionally attributed to any given disabling condition cannot be generalized.

Employees requesting accommodation must provide their manager with relevant professional supporting documentation as specified by the University. This usually takes the form of documentation from a registered health practitioner (e.g., physician, psychiatrist, clinical psychologist, etc.).

The documentation must state that the disability is an ongoing, recognized disability requiring some form of accommodation and must specify the limitations to the performance of duties.

The University has a right to request a separate medical opinion.

If clarification of the requested accommodation is required, the employee must be willing to sign a consent to release, to the Department of Health Services at Carleton University, the relevant accommodation information for the disabling condition.

The University maintains confidentiality to the greatest extent possible when providing accommodation for employees with disabilities.

Step Two: Discuss Your Request with Your Manager

Employees and managers must meet to discuss the need for accommodation and develop an accommodation plan. All such discussions require mutual understanding and respect.

Your manager is responsible for identifying the essential duties of your job. If you can perform these duties, then arrangements must be made for appropriate accommodation. Click here for examples of possible accommodations.

If your manager decides that you cannot perform the essential duties of the job, he/she must consult the Director of Human Resources and the Director of Equity Services before taking any action. You may also request that your bargaining agent be notified and a representative of your union participate in any discussions related to this issue.

Whose Responsibility is Accommodation?

Your work unit is expected to carry the cost of any accommodation. If the unit is unable to carry the cost, the Chair or Director or unit manager will contact the relevant Resource Planning Committee (RPC) for funding to cover the cost.

If the costs are beyond the means of the RPC, the RPC Chair can then apply to the Vice-President (Finance and Administration) for funding to make the accommodation.

Advice and Consultation

At any time you or your manager may seek advice from the Director of Equity Services and/or the Human Resources Department, which may also provide assistance for communicating the situation to others in the workplace.

Every effort will be made to provide accommodation but there may be times when it is not possible to do so. If a manager decides that the unit cannot accommodate an employee’s request, he/she will meet and discuss the situation with the Director of Human Resources and the Director of Equity Services.

Note: This guide is only a general outline of the Policy. Click here for the full text of the Accommodation Policy for Employees with Disabilities.