Tips for developing concept maps/graphic organizers
- Provide multiple opportunities to students to engage in concept mapping throughout the semester; the more they construct concept maps, the better they become in constructing meaningful links between ideas and knowledge domains.
- Begin with a simple topic or a focus question.
- Encourage students to study all possible links between concepts and constantly make modifications in their concept maps when necessary.
- Put an emphasis on the importance of identifying the relationship of the concepts and indicating it with a word of phrase.
- Highlight that there may be various ways to organize the information and there may be more than one correct response to the focus question. That will encourage students to be more creative in their responses.