At Carleton, we have the distinct advantage of being situated in the nation’s capital, which offers our students unique opportunities. We also live in a city that is renowned, both at home and abroad, for its natural beauty and its quality of life.
Known more as the seat of Canada’s federal government, Ottawa is also home to over 1,800 companies involved in the high tech industry, to over 130 embassies and high commissions, to numerous national museums and to a large percentage of Canada’s major medical, clinical and life sciences research centres.
The city also has a reputation as being one of the most picturesque capitals in the world – with lots of neighbourhood parks and tranquil green spaces, waterways that wind through the city, and historical and architectural landmarks scattered throughout the city. Consistently ranked as one of Canada’s most liveable and safe cities, Ottawa is part big city, part small town.
Thinking of making Ottawa the location for your studies? Start capitalizing on life in the nation’s capital. It has lots to offer — no matter where your tastes and interests lie, you’ll find something here for you! Find out more about life in Ottawa.
Life in Ottawa
Over the years, Carleton has forged strong connections with many of the agencies and organizations situated in the National Capital Region, opening doors to outstanding research and work-placement opportunities for BA students. The following list provides only a sample of these resources.
- Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada
- Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
- Amnesty International Canada
- Bank of Canada
- Canada Aviation and Space Museum
- The Canadian Museum of Contemporary Photography
- The Canadian Museum of History
- The Canadian Museum of Nature
- Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation
- Canada Science and Technology museum
- Canada Without Poverty
- Canadian Film Institute
- Canadian Human Rights Commission
- Canadian War Museum
- Competition Bureau
- Correctional Service Canada
- Department of Finance Canada
- Department of Justice
- Environment Canada
- Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada
- Health Canada
- Independent Filmmakers Co-operative of Ottawa
- Library and Archives Canada
- National Arts Centre
- National Gallery of Canada
- National Research Council Canada
- Ottawa International Animation Festival
- Ottawa International Chamber Music Festival
- Ottawa International Writers Festival
- Ottawa Jazz Festival
- RCMP National Headquarters
- SAW Video Media Art Centre
- Statistics Canada
- Supreme Court of Canada