NSERC-USRA Program Overview
Undergraduate Student Research Awards (USRA) are meant to stimulate student interest in research in the natural sciences and engineering. The awards are also meant to encourage students to undertake graduate studies and pursue a research career in these fields.
For more information about the NSERC-USRA program and application instructions, please visit: the Carleton Office for Research Initiatives and Services (CORIS) page and the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC)/USRA) page.
Number of Awards Available in FASS: 3
NOTE: Applications from eligible Indigenous applicants are submitted over and above the quota.
Duration: A full 16-week period, full-time.
Value: $4,500 from NSERC, plus a minimum of $2,235 from the supervisor.
Travel Allowances: no longer available.
Application due date: 28 February, 2020.
Submission : Submit complete applications, as a PDF, by e-mail to Sarah.Mohammed@carleton.ca.
OD FASS contact: Sarah Mohammed, 330 Paterson Hall, 613-520-2600 ext. 7590.
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
- Have completed all the course requirements of at least the first year of university study (or two academic terms) of bachelor’s degree.
- Be registered, as of the deadline date for applications at the university, in a bachelor’s degree program at an eligible university.
- Have a cumulative average of second class (“B”, 74% or “B-“, 70%).
- Have not held a USRA award in the current fiscal year, or more than 3 times during undergraduate studies.
- Have started graduate studies or holding a graduate degree in the natural sciences and engineering.
- Be enrolled in an undergraduate or professional degree program in the health sciences (MD, DDS, BScN).
Faculty must be eligible to supervise undergraduate students in the natural sciences and engineering.