Vehicles owned by Carleton University are used by various university departments in the completion of their duties and activities. Primarily the Departments of University Safety, Facilities Management & Planning, University Services and several Academic Departments have access to university owned vehicles and therefore management and staff should review this section in detail.

Automobile insurance is legislated by provincial governments in Canada and state governments in the United States of America. Although basic coverage are similar in most jurisdictions in North America, there can be differences in areas such as required legal limits, the right to sue for damages, and methods of determining responsibility in the event of an accident. When driving a Carleton University vehicle out of the Province of Ontario, the user should consult with the Director, Risk and Insurance Services to determine if there are any specific insurance requirements for the jurisdictions to be traveled in.

In Ontario most insurance coverage is the same whether the vehicle is used for private or commercial purposes. All Carleton University vehicles are subject to coverage as stipulated in the Statutory Ontario Automobile Policy (OAP 1). The University carries the following coverage on its own vehicles:

Liability Coverage Provides coverage to the university and its employees for amounts they are legally responsible to pay for bodily injury and property losses suffered by others as a result of the use and operation of a university owned automobile
Statutory Accident Benefit Coverage Provides coverage to the driver and/or passenger(s) of a vehicle for bodily injury arising out of the use and operation of a university vehicle. The benefits are prescribed by statute and are published in the regulations accompanying the Ontario Automobile Insurance Act. Eligibility and amounts payable under this section of the automobile policy are affected by benefits payable by the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board, as well as Carleton University’s employee benefits plan.
Uninsured Motorist Coverage Provides coverage where the at fault vehicle in an accident is uninsured or under insured. Payments are made for bodily injury and property damage for amounts injured parties have been awarded by the courts. The limits of coverage are the limits of the university’s automobile liability insurance.
Property Damage – Direct Compensation The Automobile Insurance Act of Ontario established the principle of Direct Compensation relating to vehicle damage. Direct Compensation means regardless of fault for an accident, the university’s insurer will pay the cost of damages to the university’s automobile, its equipment, and contents arising from an accident for which another person is responsible.
Loss or Damage to Owned Vehicles Provides coverage for direct and accidental loss of, or damage to a university automobile and its equipment caused by an insured peril such as fire, theft or collision. This coverage is applicable when the driver of the university vehicle is responsible for the accident.

For more information, please refer to the Risk Management Manual.