In order to ensure a safe learning environment accessible to all, Carleton students are protected by the University’s Human Rights and Student Rights and Responsibilities policies. FPA courses sometimes address challenging, difficult, or controversial subject matter, but you should be able to expect a safe and respectful learning environment, as well as access to all accommodations you need to do your best.

What Can I Do If I Have an Equity Concern?

  • If you have concerns about the content of a course or need to request an accommodation, we encourage you to discuss matters with your instructor proactively, constructively, and as early as possible.
  • If you don’t feel comfortable speaking with the instructor directly (or if the concern isn’t specific to a particular course), you may wish to raise your concerns with your program’s undergraduate or graduate supervisor or academic head. The professors performing these roles can be found on the department website. If you need advice on how to proceed, you can consult an Equity Advisor in the Department of Equity & Inclusive Communities (EIC).
  • Under the Human Rights Policy, requests for action over equity concerns, including harassment or discrimination, should be raised with the Dean or with an Equity Advisor in EIC. Both can provide support to address the issue informally or, if desired, pursue a formal complaint. Please note that formal requests for action must be made within 12 months of the incident.

On-Campus Resources for Students

Imminent Resources

If you have an immediate concern for your safety, please find a peer, contact CUSA’s Safe Walk volunteers at (613) 520-4066 (14:00–02:00 weekdays and 18:00–02:00 weekends), or call Campus Safety Services’ emergency line at (613) 520-4444 (or dial 4444 on a campus phone).

CUSA Service Centres

The Carleton Undergraduate Student Association maintains several service centres and programs to support our diverse student body:
• Carleton Disability Awareness Centre. A peer support, advocacy, and community space for students who experience disability, chronic illness, neurodiversity, or inaccessibility.
• Gender and Sexuality Resource Centre. A safe(r) space for Carleton students wishing to connect with queer and trans community.
• The Mawandoseg Centre. A safe(r) space for Indigenous students at Carleton and works to address the specific needs of the various Indigenous communities in and around the university.
• Racialized & International Student Experience. A lounge for students of all ethnicities and international backgrounds on campus to gather to kick back, relax and socialize with fellow students.
• The Wellness Centre. CUSA’s peer-to-peer mentorship centre, focusing on helping students care for their physical, mental and emotional health.
These service centres are open to all Carleton students, including graduate students. You may also find a CUSA club that provides community for specific affinity groups on campus.

Grants and Financial Supports

Carleton maintains a Student Emergency Fund (SEF) to provide emergency financial assistance to Carleton University students experiencing short-term financial hardship related to critical needs such as:

  • Unexpected situations such as fires, floods, theft
  • Domestic abuse situations
  • Unexpected Prescription Medication Costs
  • Unexpected homelessness
  • Situations affected personal physiological and/or safety needs
  • Temporary food insecurity

The Awards Office also manages two short-term loan programs for students in financial distress.

CUSA’s Unified Service Centre provides hampers of food and essentials to students in need, and the Graduate Students Association offers grants for accessibility needs, Black students, childcare, urgent dental care, parental and family leave, health leave, and other financial needs.

Off-Campus Resource

Resource List