Overview: Capacity and expertise in diverse areas of Biotechnology including greenhouse facilities, tissue culture, analytical chemistry, microscopy, microbiology, DNA sequencing, and molecular genetics.
Centre Capacity: Includes greenhouse units, tissue culture hoods, Illumina MiSeq and capillary DNA sequencers, molecular genetics equipment (qPCR, high-speed and ultra centrifuges, microplate readers, liquid robotic handling, protein purification, etc), bright-field and fluorescent microscopy, and gas chromatographs.
- Chair, Biology Department: Dr. Myron Smith
- Faculty: Dr. Owen Rowland (plant biochemistry), Dr. Alex Wong (microbial genomics), Dr. Shelley Hepworth (cell and developmental biology)
- Postdoctoral Fellows, PhD students, Masters students, and Undergraduates
Focus: Life Sciences, Food Security, Horticulture, Natural Products, Bioprospecting, Microbe detection/enumeration, Environmental Monitoring, Antimicrobial Strategies, Metabolic Engineering, Genomics, Bioinformatics
Project Examples: Detection and enumeration of microbes in complex environmental samples, including metagenomics; mutagenesis analysis; antifungal, antibacterial and anti-insect discovery; chemical profiling (e.g. lipids); crop development; bacterial genome sequencing
Engagement types and co-funding
- R&D partnerships (up to 80% cash contributions available)
- Contract research and consulting
- Fee-for-service testing
- Industrial-partnered student internships or post-doctoral fellows (up to 50% cash contributions available)
- Quality control analysis
Point of Contact: Myron Smith, Department of Biology – Faculty of Science
[gravityform id=”1″ title=”true” description=”false”]