Past Event! Note: this event has already taken place.
Practice Your Presentation Skills I (Mitacs)
October 21, 2020 at 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
In this one-day course, theory is introduced in short bursts and participants spend the majority of time practicing their presentation skills while receiving onsite feedback.
The focus on extensive practice and feedback is what makes the program meaningful, and is what makes the learning stick.
To create opportunities for participants to build and practice their presentation skills by applying course concepts through a series of short presentation practices while receiving in-person peer and expert feedback.
Through participating and completing this course, participants will:
- Broaden their understanding of presentation logistics
- Gain a greater ability to persuade and motivate others
- Understand how to plan and structure presentations
- Understand how (and how not to) use visual aids
- Learn to engage others through genuine and authentic presentation
- Learn tools to overcome and manage fears of public speaking
- Gain onsite practice and receive expert and peer feedback
- Be perceived as an expert in their topic area
To learn more and register for this course, please click here. If you do not have an existing account in the system, follow the instructions below:
- Visit https://edge-reg.mitacs.ca
- We recommend using a web-based browser. The site isn’t fully optimized for mobile browsing just yet.
- You will be required to create a new account! Please do not attempt to use your existing login credentials with previous Mitacs platforms, they will not work!
- Select your Learner Affiliation on the EDGE Registration Portal
- Carefully select your current Mitacs Program Affiliation
- If you are not a Mitacs Intern or program participant, please select General
All Carleton graduate students and postdocs are encouraged to attend Mitacs Training workshops, but if you are working as a TA this session can count toward voluntary paid training hours, provided that you are working as a TA in the term when the training takes place. IMPORTANT: In order for your hours to be recorded, you must send us an email or other document from Mitacs that displays a record of your attendance. Please forward it as soon as possible to firstname.lastname@example.org. We cannot record your training hours if you notify us after the term deadline for submission (November 30 for Fall Term, March 30 for Winter Term).
For more information on Mitacs Training, visit our Mitacs Training page.