1. Counselling Services
  2. Counselling Appointments/Intake Process
  3. Crisis/Urgent Counselling Support
  4. After Hours
  5. Faculty and Staff
  6. Confidentiality

In order to promote the health and safety of our Carleton community, the Carleton Health and Counselling Services will remain open for both virtual and in-person appointments.

Please call our office at 613-520-6674, or if you live in Residence call 613-520-2600 ext. 8061, to speak with our Patient Care Coordinator who will set up your file and send you an intake form to be complete before your call with our Intake Counsellor.

Get Help Now

Counselling Services

The Health and Counselling team is here to support you through your journey at Carleton; we understand students can face unique challenges and barriers and are here for you.

Our goal is to support students in achieving academic success by working collaboratively with them to overcome barriers, build resilience and promote wellness in the areas of physical and mental health. For academic support services, please visit the Centre for Student Academic Support.

Our experienced intake counsellor will consult with you and explore with you what your needs are and the most effective way to address those needs. The intake counsellor has the ability to triage, system-navigate, and risk assess, as well as, pair students with a counsellor based on their unique needs and situation in a holistic manner, using a stepped-care approach. We offer short-term individual counselling for students struggling with many different problems like anxiety, depression, relationship problems, sexual violence, and personal and academic stress. Health and Counselling Services offers a variety of specialized counsellors: Indigenous, Sexual Assault and Trauma, Athletic, Racialized, Trans/2SLGBTQ+, International, and Graduate.

The Intake Counsellor will sensitively listen and then explore a series of options that include self-help material, online options, therapy groups, and referrals to on or off-campus resources, counselling, or medical appointments.

  • We offer short-term individual counselling for students
  • Our focus is on getting you back on track rather than exploration and analysis of past problems.
  • Our counsellors are masters-level psychotherapists or social workers who are registered with their respective colleges
  • Our counsellors primarily use a strength-based, solution-focused therapy model. Strength-based counselling focuses on creating a hopeful future and helping people make the choices and changes that are necessary for them to move toward the future that they want. This work happens in the context of a collaborative, empowering relationship between counsellors and students.
  • We are not able to provide long-term support. We do work closely with our primary care doctors to ensure that people have access to the supports that are available. Your counsellor will discuss options with you.
  • For complex mental health and addictions treatment beyond our capacity, we may refer you to services in the community.

Counselling Appointments/Intake Process

Call our office at 613-520-6674 to speak with our Patient Care Coordinator to set up your file and who will then send you an Intake form to be completed before your call with our Intake Counsellor.

The Intake Counsellor will call you within 24 hours to discuss your intake and connect you with appropriate supports based on your unique concerns.

Intake calls on average are 15 minutes.

If you are not sure if counselling is for you, or if you are looking for additional resources, call to connect with our Intake Counsellor to discuss your situation in more detail.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to connect with us. Your wellbeing is of the utmost importance to us!

**If you are an employee of Carleton University and need Counselling, please contact the Employee and Family Assistance Program.**

Crisis/Urgent Counselling Support

Call our office at 613-520-6674 to book with our intake counsellor and let the patient care coordinator know it is urgent, or come in person to our main clinic (2500 Carleton Technology and Training Centre Building) and indicate that you are in crisis and need to speak to someone right away.

The following symptoms are indicative of a crisis situation:

  • Suicidal thoughts
  • Thoughts about harming another person
  • Recent sexual assault or traumatic event
  • Hallucinations and delusions

After Hours

If you need assistance for an urgent situation outside of our regular operating hours, contact:

  • On-Campus: Campus Safety Services: (613) 520-4444 (or, dial 4444 from any university land-line)
  • Off-Campus: call 911
  • Good 2 Talk: 1-866-925-5454
  • Distress Centre of Ottawa and Region: Available 24/7-365 days/years and is bilingual (English/French).
    • Distress: 613-238-3311
    • Crisis: 613-722-6914
    • Text: 343-306-5550 available 10:00 am – 11:00 pm, 7 days/week, 365 days/year.
    • Web Chat: blue chat icon at the bottom right corner of the website.
    • Text Service is available in English only to residents of Ottawa & the Ottawa Region.)
  • Empower Me: A resource service for undergraduate students.
  • International SOS’s Emotional Support: Offers 24/7 access to mental health professionals in more than 60 languages through their dedicated line +1 215-942-8478. Students can call this number collect (the person being telephoned receives the charges) to access services.
  • Wellness Together

Faculty and Staff

All Carleton employees, as well as family members who need support, can reach out to the Employee & Family Assistance Program (EFAP) by calling 1-877-725-5676 or through the myfseap.ca portal.


Health and Counselling Services (HCS) is legally required to keep health information confidential. HCS will not release any information without written permission from the student, except to protect you or others from immediate harm; when ordered by a court to do so (subpoena); or required by law (protecting children from abuse). Your counsellor will explain our confidentiality policy to you when you meet, as well as the limits mentioned above. They can also answer any questions you have about the privacy of your health care information.