Work continues on the new Health Sciences Building which will house our programs in Health Science in addition to programs in Neuroscience.
The building is expected to be completed in time for Fall 2017.
Information from Facilities, Management and Planning
The design and layout of the labs, offices and workspace are such to help encourage and facilitate collaborative interaction between faculty and students.
The new building is planned to have seven floors and one mezzanine. The total building area will be roughly 120,000 square feet.
Key Building Details
- The first floor will have a new lecture theatre. There will be a mezzanine at the back of the lecture theatre to also allow entry/exit at the back of the lecture theatre.
- The second, third, fourth and seventh floors will have labs, lab support space, research support space, offices and student workstations.
- The fifth and sixth floors will be shell space to allow for future program growth.
- There will be a ground level enclosed connection between the new building and the Steacie building.
- Each floor will have its own mechanical/electrical room. This is to allow for minimal disruptions to other floors when work on one floor is taking place.
Environmentally Friendly Design
The Health Science Building project has undertaken a Green Globes Workshop and is aiming to achieve a rating of 4 Globes.