Past Event! Note: this event has already taken place.
Cooking Demo: Plant-Based Taco Salad
July 12, 2022 at 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM
|Audience:||Staff and Faculty|
Chef Amy Longard will be joining us again this summer for an interactive and informative virtual cooking lesson. In this virtual class you’ll follow along with Amy to learn how to make a hearty & delicious salad with raw walnut taco meat (a veggie alternative to ground meats), a variety of veggies, and a tahini dressing. This is the perfect recipe to make on hot summer days as there is no cooking required and it features local, seasonal veggies. At the end of class you’ll enjoy a tasty, filling lunch and you’ll even have leftovers for your next meal. Registration at the bottom of this page.
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/2 packed cup sun-dried tomatoes or sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika or chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- Pinch of chili flakes or cayenne pepper, optional (for those who like it spicy!)
- 1/2 cup tahini (sesame seed butter)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (2 to 3 limes) or apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 small clove garlic clove, finely minced
- Approximately 8 cups leafy greens of your choice (arugula, spinach, romaine or finely chopped kale are Amy’s favourites)
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 of a small red onion or vidalia (sweet) onion, small dice, optional
- 3 – 4 green onions roughly chopped
- 1/4 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped, for garnish, optional
- 1 can of black beans or pinto beans, optional but recommended for added protein
You can also download the ingredients list here.
To register for this virtual event, please fill out the form below. The Zoom link will be sent to you closer to the event date.